Any one want to join me in waiting for eggs, posting and comparing notes?

morning all... I don't want to start the week off with being a downer, but I woke up and it's 17 degrees. I know it isn't Spring yet, I realize that it is only mid March, but I am just so tired of this stinking cold weather. AND, we are supposed to perhaps be getting major accumulation AGAIN on Tuesday into Wednesday. ARE YOU KIDDING ME??? I am finally seeing grass at my place, and all that is left from the last horror show of snow is 3 huge piles of little snow mountains stubbornly hanging on that the man who plows left us. The winter of 12-13 is one stubborn wench. I'm not expecting tropical fronts, but come on....... Hope you had a great few days away Cat... I've been wondering where USVIyardbird has gone off to, and where is our REDangler?? Is he lost in fodder land?? MB
It's cold here too not 17 but still cold for this area. Right now it's 41 but with the rain and wind it feels like 35. We had some snow up on the hills yesterday.

For those of you in the cold...I'm so sorry! I lived in the midwest (Nebraska) for a few years so I know miserable weather and I'm guessing you're all jonesing really badly for spring. It will come!
My home is California so I will refrain from talking further about weather.
hide.gif

I've been getting at least one egg a day (5 hens!!!!) for the past few days so maybe they are finally clicking into gear. They are still small though. Does anyone know if Cochins always lay small eggs? Or is it just beginners luck? I only ask about her because she is the only one I know for sure is laying a small egg (only one I caught in the act).

Crafty, those are DANGEROUS pictures you are posting!!!! The one chick I did NOT get that I wanted was a Buff Orpington. I so wanted one of those butterball fluffs but none were available when I got chicks. Your pictures are giving me naughty ideas.

Congrats on the eggs and the babies! So I looked and my girl is laying fertilized eggs! Yay. So at some point we can have babies. I was worried since she has been snappish with poor Slo-fro. He is getting frustrated with one irritated hen and 4 pullets who just aren't ready. They are starting to redden up though so I have my fingers crossed for end of April begining of May eggs from them. Once they are laying regularly I am going to let Hermia go broody. She already spends a good 1/2 hour to hour sitting on her egg once she lays it and snapping at anyone who comes near. Her mama was my sisters best mama bird. She is also a bantam that hatched out 13 eggs at once! It was most impressive considering the fact that most of the eggs were normal sized cause the other hens kept laying eggs in her nest box when she went to eat.

It's cold here too not 17 but still cold for this area. Right now it's 41 but with the rain and wind it feels like 35. We had some snow up on the hills yesterday.
nakstk isn't this stuff terrible?! Still windy today but the wind chill finally came up to 48 degrees. Ugh! The husband and I are thinking we're heading south sooner then we think, moved it up 3 weeks! 90 degrees might thaw these frozen bones :D

Wow, go outside and do yard work for a couple of days and it takes a LONG time to catch up!
You all have been busy. Well, two of my girls are laying now!!! Egg count is 10 for the week!!
The eggs are actually making it into the nest box as of today!
They remain small but I'll take what I can get.
Still waiting for my EE to begin laying. I have searched our
yard in the event she is choosing to hide them on me but
nothing so far. She is singing and squatting like crazy. Can't wait
to see what color she gives us.

Tried our first 2 eggs this weekend with DH doing the blind taste test.
Urban Farm Fresh Eggs win hands down. May sound silly to some
but "these are the good old days"
love.gif
Thanks for being a part of it all.

Wow, go outside and do yard work for a couple of days and it takes a LONG time to catch up!
You all have been busy. Well, two of my girls are laying now!!! Egg count is 10 for the week!!
The eggs are actually making it into the nest box as of today!
They remain small but I'll take what I can get.
Still waiting for my EE to begin laying. I have searched our
yard in the event she is choosing to hide them on me but
nothing so far. She is singing and squatting like crazy. Can't wait
to see what color she gives us.

Tried our first 2 eggs this weekend with DH doing the blind taste test.
Urban Farm Fresh Eggs win hands down. May sound silly to some
but "these are the good old days"
love.gif
Thanks for being a part of it all.

That's funny... I am waiting for all the other girls to lay. My EE and my little white silkie were the first ones! My EE is still laying pretty small eggs but today's was bigger than the first 3 from last week, so I hope she just keeps laying bigger ones!

Oh, and on the weather.... you guys all need to move over here! 70 today and lots of sunshine!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom