Any one want to join me in waiting for eggs, posting and comparing notes?

Wow, I've been away for too long. It was great reading through and catching up.
We have 100 in the shade today. Our girls are panting away.
Yesterday, our RIR did something crazy. We were bbq ing. The RIR was running
one minute and then just fell down on her side with her leg up in the air. I was
shocked. We ran to check her out and when we got there, she jumped up and
ran away. What the heck?! My DH says he thinks she was drunk on all the
frozen watermelon he fed the girls yesterday to keep them cool. She's fine
today. They sure keep us on our toes.

We have given them more shade (via a tarp) we spray down their run every night.
They get ice blocks in their waterers 2x/day. Increased water supply. So far
so good.

After reading this thread, I am going to add ice block beside their nesting area
(great idea - thank you) Their eggs are so warm when I bring them in that I
feel like they are already cooked inside the shell. I let them come to room
temp inside the house and then refrigerate them. During cooler months, I
just keep them on the kitchen counter. All for now -

It's been a while just checking in... Phoebe stopped being broody just in time for Bess to start. oh well, it is what it is. We are getting plenty of eggs. The other day I went out to find Tess standing on the top of their run. She found that the wind blow the bird netting off in a spot and she was able to fly up the 4 feet to the top and get out. I quickly fixed the hole before anyone else caught on. Chickens are so much smarter then people give them credit for. Also one more funny chicken story. Last night I was out taking the dogs potty before we left for graduation and all my girls had their heads turned sideways they were all looking up and having a very intense conversation. No joke they really were. You could almost make out, "what is that thing?" I don't know I have never seen one before" "Do you think it's going to eat us?" "No it's not look at the way it's flying it's in a hurry to get somewhere" "oooo look it's shiny!" So I look up to see Balloons floating over head, someone accidentally let go of them at the stadium.
so funny! i also wonder what they think sometimes :)

My girls are growing up...

I just thought that this was funny... Matilda trying to get out of camera shot.

Dotty on left and Tabitha on right. My Cuckoo Marans are laying nice dark eggs.

My turkey chicks are now a month old

THREE of them have started to display... I could have 3 toms out of 4 chicks. Will be an amazing Thanksgiving ;)
droolin.gif
At 1 month old, the largest chick weighs 1.7 lbs.... wow...

This is Buttercup. My buff orphington. She is about almost 5 months old

Kind of wondering about her... Americana/EE... Just about 4 months old. She is waaaay taller then her sister. And she is getting the feathers on the side of tale... my 3 other Americanas/EE don't have that. Could I have a surprise Roo?

Crafty Chick ~ Wow! I keep hearing that with Orps you need to wait at least 6 months. With my two Cuckoo marans... Tabitha started at 21 weeks and Dottie waited till she 27 weeks old. I was not expecting that kind of wait. I have 2 other Buff Orps... Even though they are only a week younger they look way younger. No real color or wattles & combs yet. I have 2 RIR that are at 21 weeks... they don't seem that ready yet... I am now starting to wonder who will be first;)
ArieKannairb ~ My girls were attacked by a dog last fall. I had lost 6 chickens and 2 turkeys to that dog. One of my turkey hens was severely injured. With some Mugwort and inside care she recovered and laid 22 eggs. Our fowl our tough girls. I am happy for your girl Lucky. Congrats to you both for getting through this.

Hi all

We are at week 15...and not a sign as yet.

We bought 5 red sex linked and one other 'random' chick...we had to buy six as a minimum number...and the sixth is now crowing like a rooster and becoming quite handsome (and we are sort of pleased). See our girls and bot below.... (anyone want to ID the type of rooster we have?)

I looked up online and it seems we have a few more weeks to go...and should expect an egg sometime in mid July. We can't wait.

Back
Top Bottom