Any one want to join me in waiting for eggs, posting and comparing notes?

I noticed a definite change in my leghorn girls combs today. All 6 have some height and color too them that wasn't there just a few days ago. When I got them in March, August seemed so far off! I can not believe how close I am to having a stead flow of free range/pastured eggs coming in! We are getting a steady 6-8 eggs per week from the two RIR now that Lucky is laying again. Darn fox has shown up at least 2 more times, but thankfully I have been able to run it off both times.

The olders have allowed the younger girls to integrate nicely. I have had uncanny success with integrating new birds into my flock. The babies are about 5 weeks old now and are having a grand time foraging in the run. They have been outside full time for about 2 weeks now (first in a smaller private enclosure and now with the bigger birds). Nugget (rooster) is actually protective of them. I did lose two so decided to treat for cocci just in case. So far everyone else seems ok. I am wondering if they were piling on top of each other. Now that they have been moved to the main coop they have plenty of space and I set them up a crate that they can either sleep in or roost on under the lamp when it is cool enough to warrant it.

My husband has banned me from purchasing any more birds, but I really want another Americauna so I might get a few started pullets closer to my birthday. He can't say no when it is my birthday, right? ;)

Last but not least, I have had to ban my daughter from feeding them treats without my specific permission. She is in love with them and spends hours outside talking to them and handing them treats. To the point where they would wait for her instead of going out to forage. My food cost skyrocketed for a few weeks there. It only took a day of not having any food in the coop before they decided it was best to go back to chasing bugs, but they still run to her and follow her in a 30 chicken long line when she is in the yard. Stinkers.

My husband has banned me from purchasing any more birds, but I really want another Americauna so I might get a few started pullets closer to my birthday. He can't say no when it is my birthday, right? ;)

Last but not least, I have had to ban my daughter from feeding them treats without my specific permission. She is in love with them and spends hours outside talking to them and handing them treats. To the point where they would wait for her instead of going out to forage. My food cost skyrocketed for a few weeks there. It only took a day of not having any food in the coop before they decided it was best to go back to chasing bugs, but they still run to her and follow her in a 30 chicken long line when she is in the yard. Stinkers.
Birthday request is how I got the chicken tractor built
clap.gif
. It's a large A frame about 5.5 feet tall and 40 square feet on the bottom
level for our 3 hens to run around in until we get home to let them out. 2x4 construction, Heavy as can be. So my DH who wanted nothing to do with chickens built my birthday tractor, is the only one strong enough to move it regularly and feeds our girls treats every day to the point that whenever the back door opens, our RIR starts squawking for her treats as if to say "I will not be ignored". (Even if the door is opened just for the dog to be let out - yes our girls are stinkers) Not sure what I did for fun before chickens entered our life
wink.png

Come on guys,,, no one else in here with 16 week olds or about that waiting for eggs wanting to talk to an ol chick about their flocks. We can wait and learn together! Pretty plllleeeeeesssseeeee?
hide.gif
Don't leave me hangin...
I am also waiting!! My chicks are approximately 18wks and have shown no signs! What's worse is my Roos have shown no interest in the girls, other than being very protective of them. When I hold 1 of the girls, if she starts making noise, my batman comes running and acts nervous! It's cute really. Maybe they are all late bloomers, I don't know? I thought they would be getting it on by now?

I am also waiting!! My chicks are approximately 18wks and have shown no signs! What's worse is my Roos have shown no interest in the girls, other than being very protective of them. When I hold 1 of the girls, if she starts making noise, my batman comes running and acts nervous! It's cute really. Maybe they are all late bloomers, I don't know? I thought they would be getting it on by now?

Mine are 15 weeks and aren't quite there but are getting close!

Wow, what a great bunch of posts I've missed! Congrats for all the new eggs...mine are back to the usual 4 out of 5...I'm just resigned to Velcro not laying...apparently being boss chicken is just too demanding.

On another note, I have an egg skelter I no longer want. It's like new, cream colored and cost me upwards of $30...willing to sell cheaper to help someone out...make me an offer if you're interested and I'll ship it out to you. I wanted to offer it here first to my chicken friends before I go to ebay or etsy.

Ariekannairb your EE looks so much like my Gretta that I lost. She waited to lay until she was 39 weeks old. She laid me 5 beautiful green eggs before something took her while she was free ranging with her flock mates. She had a very sweet personality I really miss her.

Wow, what a great bunch of posts I've missed! Congrats for all the new eggs...mine are back to the usual 4 out of 5...I'm just resigned to Velcro not laying...apparently being boss chicken is just too demanding.

On another note, I have an egg skelter I no longer want. It's like new, cream colored and cost me upwards of $30...willing to sell cheaper to help someone out...make me an offer if you're interested and I'll ship it out to you. I wanted to offer it here first to my chicken friends before I go to ebay or etsy.
Newbie question here...what is an egg skelter?
idunno.gif

Nice photo album, Ariekannairb ! I need to get some of my pictures uploaded. I didn't think to take a picture of my first full dozen
hit.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom