Any one want to join me in waiting for eggs, posting and comparing notes?

Quote: The joys of keeping chickens, I have 16 girls all are laying I have had only 4 eggs off the floor of the coop so not a bad percentage I think
tongue2.gif

30 weeks and finally my first egg!
wee.gif
I'm not looking a gift horse in the mouth, but is the girl, that laid the egg yesterday, the same one who laid the second egg today?

The second egg was on the floor of the coop not too far from where the first egg was laid. The second egg is almost exactly the same shape and size (egg #1 is 4.18 grams and egg #2 is 4.37 grams) as the first egg, but the second is much smoother. Could my fantabulous egg layer improve her egg in only 24 hours? (the first and second egg was laid between 1pm-3pm).

I have six hens, all EE's, but there are only two who have very red pea combs. One has tiny wattles. What do you think? Same girl? Pictues:

Egg color in normal light with quarter:

Both eggs under artificial light. See how rough one is compared to egg two... (on right)

Edit: Umm, editing the decimal points. That should be 41.8 & 43.7 grams (small eggs)
roll.png

Last edited:
Maybe she had a rough night! Little joke. Very nice at any rate. Congrats. Sounds like me. I had 30 week old layers to and maybe older.

Congrats to all of you who have gotten eggs!!! The chickens we have at my work are still laying. They are roughly 7 months old, so I would expect them to keep laying at least once a day. My three girls that I have at home are roughly 3-4 years old. Since the transition to the new home, no eggs. We are approaching 1 month in the new home and occasionally we can hear the "laying" song but nothing. I have turned and fluffed and stuffed the nesting boxes. I am hoping that they are not laying due to the season change and the days getting shorter. Any suggestions? Comments?

Last edited:
Finally - Zombie laid her first egg!
wee.gif
We've been so excited to see what color they would be. Poor thing spent about 45 minutes checking out the different nest boxes before she settled into one.
It's such a pretty blue, but hard to take a decent photo of. I think I'll save it for my son's birthday breakfast tomorrow.

Segeine

Finally - Zombie laid her first egg!
wee.gif
We've been so excited to see what color they would be. Poor thing spent about 45 minutes checking out the different nest boxes before she settled into one.
It's such a pretty blue, but hard to take a decent photo of. I think I'll save it for my son's birthday breakfast tomorrow.

Segeine

That IS a pretty color! I find it hard to take a picture that truly represents the "real" color, too. For me, it seems outdoors without flash is best. The flash seems to wash out the color.
hmm.png

frow.gif
Well, I'm taking an educated guess ....this was probably from another new layer!! LOL to be quite honest, I;ve NEVER seen an egg this size.!!
ep.gif
I'm betting it doesn't have a yolk in it either...after my dh comes home and gets to see it....I'll crack it open and take a pict.

This is a teaspoon
love.gif

frow.gif
Its 3am ....couldn't sleep! Then this grape sized little egg kept drawing me over .SO I BROKE IT OPEN TO SEE IF ANYTHING HAD DEVELOPED INSIDE. I would have lost $$ because I would have bet there was nothing more than possibly some eggwhite. Took picts so you could see I WAS SO WRONG!!
lau.gif
And the shell itself was very strong...nothing strange there....but this was really small,,,,,,,,,,,,,
ep.gif

teaspoon beside this so you could see how small it was on the inside too
It really does have a yolk.....however small it was!!

frow.gif
Its 3am ....couldn't sleep! Then this grape sized little egg kept drawing me over .SO I BROKE IT OPEN TO SEE IF ANYTHING HAD DEVELOPED INSIDE. I would have lost $$ because I would have bet there was nothing more than possibly some eggwhite. Took picts so you could see I WAS SO WRONG!!
lau.gif
And the shell itself was very strong...nothing strange there....but this was really small,,,,,,,,,,,,,
ep.gif

teaspoon beside this so you could see how small it was on the inside too
It really does have a yolk.....however small it was!!

I just had to see, too! That is amazing.
jumpy.gif

Back
Top Bottom