Any one want to join me in waiting for eggs, posting and comparing notes?

Chicksurreal, I see in your signature line that you have Dark Cornish. What do you think of their behavior/ personalities? Do you think that would do well as a part of a mixed flock? I am curious about that breed.

Chicksurreal, I see in your signature line that you have Dark Cornish. What do you think of their behavior/ personalities? Do you think that would do well as a part of a mixed flock? I am curious about that breed.

I love them! The ones we have are hatchery stock from Murray McMurray, but they are beautiful and mostly calm, there are a couple who are a little flighty. They comprise about half of our newest flock, so we've been able to have a good look at how they behave. So far, they are probably the calmest of this flock. They aren't mean with the other girls and seem to integrate very well. I'm super happy with them, can you tell? Lol!

I'll get a picture of a few of them for you to see what they look like.

I would love to see pic also. Are they good layers and are eggs a good size?

Mine are only 19 weeks old right now, so I don't have personal experience with it yet, but I've heard good things about them in the egg-laying department. hopefully it will be soon, some of them already have really red wattles, faces and combs and are squatting when I walk by them!

I'll get a picture when I go out to give them treats.
big_smile.png

Okay, here are a few shots of them, not the best time of day for picture taking, but it shows you what they look like.

Here's an up close pic of Esmerelda -

Here's one with them mixed in with some of the other girls -

Another of them mixed in -

One more -

They are quite lovely in a burly sort of way! I love the feather patterns. Wow...I keep finding out new breeds that I would like to try. Must stop looking...must stop looking...

They are quite lovely in a burly sort of way! I love the feather patterns. Wow...I keep finding out new breeds that I would like to try. Must stop looking...must stop looking...

They are quite "hawkish" in their looks, very sturdy, and tight feathers. They aren't fluffy at all, you pick one up and they are all meat (not that we're going to eat them, lol!)

They have gorgeous, shiny feathers. I really love the way they look and the way they behave.

I just got the new Murray catalog in the mail today. I'm afraid to open it.

Oh good lord.... Chicken math ;) You start out wanting just 4 and end up with a dozen. Well not all chicks survive so you have to get extras. Then we are all good care takers and they all live... Then you fine others breeds... it's a dangerous spiral to 20 chickens...
lau.gif
I love my girls. And there are a lot of others breeds that I would love to get... I would be afraid of the catalog too Chicksurreal. :) I love my life :)

Oh good lord.... Chicken math ;) You start out wanting just 4 and end up with a dozen. Well not all chicks survive so you have to get extras. Then we are all good care takers and they all live... Then you fine others breeds... it's a dangerous spiral to 20 chickens...
lau.gif
I love my girls. And there are a lot of others breeds that I would love to get... I would be afraid of the catalog too Chicksurreal. :) I love my life :)

Lol! Me too, life is good! we started out with 17 and had some losses to predators and now we have 38...

Seriously though, I can't get this catalog out of my hands. I set it down and the next thing I know I'm looking through the rare breed section! It's spooky.
hu.gif

Back
Top Bottom