anybody raise sprouts to feed the chickens?

Last week, I purchased a bag of lentils at the grocery, since that was the cheapest whole bean/pea they had. I put some in a plastic glass & them soaked in water overnight. Each day, they were rinsed & drained. Here's what I have after a week.
IMG_0030.jpg

These really taste rather good. I'll give some to chickies, and save some for my lunch salad.

Last edited:
I really can't believe how good these lentil sprouts are. Since chickies already had their stack today, leftover biscuits crumbled in warm milk - I was going to give them the sprouts tomorrow. Well, I had some in my lunchtime salad, and I've been snacking on them all afternoon! This has go to be better for me than chips or candy. Chickies may get some tomorrow.

Quote:
I have a recipe around here somewhere for dehydrated lentil sprouts with seasoning; they really are like chips! I'll post it if I can find it...

OK, so that picture of the lentils has totally got me. I am going to get some stuff at Whole Foods tomorrow. Have been completely immersed in holiday baking of bread, dipping pretzels in chocolate, etc and need to come up for air so I can make something MUCH healthier!
pop.gif

I saw that clover sprouts and sunflower organic sprouts were $2.99 per small box at the produce store.

Quote:
Split peas will not sprout.. They are split..
wink.png
However they are very good for the chickens! cooked or raw.

Beans of all sort should not be fed raw.. They must be cooked.....OR I am 99% positive that sprouting does away with the anti nutrients found in raw beans.
(Just sprout them real well, like in the cool picture posted.)

Sprouts are yummmy...
droolin.gif

ON

I've been sprouting for myself and my family for years. This is my first winter with chickens, and I've just started sprouting for them as well. I have a couple of the sprouters in this link:
http://www.sprouthouse.com/Tray_Sprouters_s/2.htm&Click=6102 but I've used most of the methods people have talked about on this thread and they all work fine as well. Several times a week I give the hens a pie tin full of homemade yogurt with a little ACV mixed in, the sprouts get layered on top. They absolutely love it! As for the family, our favorite is sprouted arugula - soooo good in salads. Someone mentioned that the cost per pound of seed is kind of high, and I have to agree, but the seed does go a long way. I only have a dozen birds though, I guess if you're feeding a large flock it could get expensive.

Back
Top Bottom