anybody raise sprouts to feed the chickens?

Can I get input on peas vs oats vs barley sprouted?
Mine like the wheat and BOSS, but wanted to add diversity. They were picky with barley from what I remember.
What do yours like the best?
For ducks and chickens

Try an ethnic food store for whole green peas.
I contacted Goya and they confirmed that their peas are non-GMO.

I sprout mine and then turn them into microgreens

We just started sprouting for our poultry. Just barley so far. My husband got this wild idea of using plastic rain gutters on a slant with a block of shaped styrofoam at the low end to keep the seeds from washing out. It works great!

Wow, my chickens must be picky. I bought a small container of organic sunflower sprouts and one of pea sprouts just to see if they would like it, and they turned their noses up at it, as well as some beautiful organically farmed dandelion greens. Sigh.

Mine won't eat dandelion greens either. And they won't touch pea sprouts. (Chickens just weren't designed to eat legume seeds no matter how we try to push them in their feed, unfortunately.)

But sunflower sprouts - with just the little tail and maybe even the tiniest leaf start - they love! (And wheat, and oat sprouts too...but I only do sprouts - not fodder stage most of the time.)

Last edited:
It seems that some folks are referring to micro greens as sprouts. Sprouts aren't grown in dirt from what I know. To my understanding sprouts aren't green because they haven't been exposed to sunlight which gets the chlorophyll activated. I have been researching and am finding the micro greens to be more beneficial due to the chlorophyll and some of the hulls in sprout seeds containing anti nutrients. Am I reading the right information?

Where are you all getting your BOSS and other seeds like Brocoli and Chia?

I know it is off topic, but I am searching for an old post I read on this site years ago. The topic was discussing growing your own chicken feed. Someone posted something to the extent of "I don't know why you all aren't growing ___________, which is a very high protein plant that is easy to grow- hasn't caught on in the US and is mostly for livestock feed where it is grown". I want to say it may have been a root vegtable but I can't remember. I do recall they said it didn't have much taste but was very healthy. Any ideas?
You can get BOSS just about anywhere. Be sure it is not treated against sprouting.

The post you are referring to may have been in regard to comfrey?

The larger round seeds are Milo, also called Sorghum. (the small ones are Millet)
Do NOT sprout the Milo. It is toxic.

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?id=350512538363706&story_fbid=424197177661908

Milo is not toxic if you sprout the sprouts so they are longer than the seed itself. I've grown them to an inch or more and had no ill effects.

Mine won't eat dandelion greens either. And they won't touch pea sprouts. (Chickens just weren't designed to eat legume seeds no matter how we try to push them in their feed, unfortunately.)

But sunflower sprouts - with just the little tail and maybe even the tiniest leaf start - they love! (And wheat, and oat sprouts too...but I only do sprouts - not fodder stage most of the time.)
My birds LOVE dandelion greens. Of course there's not a heck of a lot of choice where I live but when I put them into their feed, they get gobbled up. Pea sprouts too, as well as peas.

Read the seed labels.
I went to my local feed store to see if they had anything to sprout. I start growing fodder this time of year and my source of barley dried up.
I asked what the largest bag of oat groats they had (usually it is 5 lbs.) they said 50 lbs. I said I'll take a bag (they were out though)
I asked if they had barley (they had never carried it before) and they said they had 50 lb. bags.
I said I'd take one if it was feed grade. They said it was untreated seed so should be OK.
Just before I opened the bag when I got home, I turned it over and it said NOT FOR FEED - contains one or more of the following. There was a list of pesticides and fungicides.
They tried to poison my chickens.

Back
Top Bottom