Anybody use CBD oil for their older dog?

MustLoveHens

Songster
10 Years
Sep 1, 2010
Albion, Wisconsin
So, a little back ground. Sorry it's a little long. I have a female ChiaPit (chihuahua/pitbull) who is the best dog ever in my book. She's about 23#s, is ~13 and a rescue so her exact age and "life before" are unknown. We got her from a high volume kill shelter so who knows what her previous life was like before she became our prefect angle, Grace.
Anyway, Gracie's been having some lameness in her right hind leg for around two months or so. She was fine one day, started a very, very slight limp early in the afternoon, took note of it because it was odd, and thinking she might have just miss stepped, thought to keep an eye on it and call the vet if it got worse. Then ~45 mins later she was non weight bearing. I called our vet and took her in, had x-rays. Her xrays looked clean and the exam did not reveal a torn ACL, although our vet thought it could possibly be that but it didn't act like it when he did his exam. He gave us pain meds (carprofen and later Previcox) as well as an antibiotic regime to be on the cautious side in case she had some kind of infection or picked up Lepto which she'd vaccinated for.
The response to the drugs was mixed. Nothing improved with the ABs and the carprofen yielded a little positive result, the Previcox a better one but still no resolution of her limp. Did a complete blood panel that came back clean and excellent.
So, she is still limping, but comfortable. I got her a long ramp and this helps prevent her from jumping up on things to get to the bed and she actually seems a little better since jumping and steps have been almost eliminated. She still had a "high" step (~9 in) to take to go outside as well as two small ones, but she navigates them carefully and well.
My DH hubby wants to try CBD oil. I've read up on it a little but have not talked to our vet yet about it because I wanted to get more info and opinions. I'm on the fence because I'm leaning toward it being more of a "fad" instead of a "proven" (for lack of a better word) treatment.
Does anyone have thoughts or experience, positive or negative, with using CBD oil? Thanks in advance.

No personal experience with CBD but a good friend uses it on her aged (+/-13 y.o.) hound dog and swears by it. She is very, very much into the holistic (nearly mystic ;)) world of health, so take it from whence it comes. Not saying yea or nay, myself. Reducing the steps via ramps is a good thing. Might want to even consider "ramping" that existing 9" step since height is relative to dog size. Good on you for taking such good care of your pup!

You should really, REALLY consult a vet. I know it can work really well for some people, but you should never use any sort of medication -and this counts- on an animal without knowing for sure what it will do. You need to get dosage, for one thing, and know what potential risks there are. Call your vet and ask- you may be able to get the answer over a phone call without any sort of consult.
I'm pretty sure pot is toxic to dogs, too. Not sure if that applies to the oil as well.

You really shouldn't get your dogs stoned. Pot affects animals differently and could kill your dog, plus I doubt it's all that pleasant for them. The smoke isn't great for anyone's lungs, either.

Does not kill but that was like in 73 what is grown now who know CDB is a different animal and has been known to help often we even have it in our feed stores now
and yes I would try it if our dogs need it at some point ...

You really shouldn't get your dogs stoned. Pot affects animals differently and could kill your dog, plus I doubt it's all that pleasant for them. The smoke isn't great for anyone's lungs, either.

The compound that's toxic or potentially reaction-causing to animals is THC, not CBD. "Animals shouldn't have pot [in it's unaltered form]" is 100% correct, and I really don't agree with smoking up anyone or anything who can't verbally consent, but lab-extracted CBD is not bad for them, no, and it's pretty hard to overdose them.

That said, I'm never going to say consulting a vet first isn't a great idea, OP!

I was gave up DVM due to personal issues will not talk of but know what I am saying what we did as teens stupid 70's personally have not touched in 45 years do recommend use on animals and humans .. as long as it is still against federal laws I have Tramadol would rather try CBD or THC

Back
Top Bottom