Anyone add Apple Cider Vinegar to your chickens water?

werblessd1s

Songster
12 Years
Jun 6, 2007
NORTH FLORIDA
I read an article in Backyard Poultry about adding ACV to your chickens water.
The Advantages
* Improved fertility
* General health and condition
* Cleanliness in drinkers by slowing down algae growth
* Helps clean plumage
* Show birds look amazing when bathed in ACV/water solution
* Clearing respiratory system

Damaged bleeding birds can be treated by a diluted mixture of ACV. Ratio needs to be 10 to 1.

It provides a number of important minerals such as potassium,sulphur,chlorine, phosphorous, iron, and silicon. The vitamins contained in ACV are P, A, C, E, B1, B2 and B6.

It helps prevent internal infestation, controls disease and problem causing organisms, helps prevent sour crop,provides a source of potassium that will help combat certain bacterial problems. It helps keep the blood vessels free and prevents calcium from forming on the walls.
There is definite proof that it can help prevent cocidiosis, a serious killer of young birds. There is also a good chance that it can prevent canker.

Usage: Mix 1 teaspoon per quart of water. Watch birds reaction and make sure it is not too strong for them. As they need to drink water! Give as young as two weeks. A light spray over feed is also possible. DO NOT use in metal waterers the acid in ACV will cause corrosion.

Last edited:
Quote:
Yes Miss Prissy, it is good for humans, dogs , cats, sheep and cattle. It relieves joint problems, arthritis, and internal problems.

Wow, I would love to try this.

Anything to make them healthier (and keep that stupid algae from forming - it is a pain to scrub out fo the waterer that I have) is ok by me - hopefulluy it'll be ok by them, LOL. I'll give it a try.

Thanks for the tip -
Meriah

Yes I do this. I use some myself as well.
big_smile.png

You really can't taste much.. so I doubt the chickens will either if your diluting it in at least a gallon of water.

Can you use regular apple cider or does it have to be "organic"? I can't find the organic with mother in this area.

needmorechickens! :

What do you mix it with for human consumption?

1 tsp down the hatch. Organic raw apple cider vinegar with the mother doesn't taste like ordinary run of the mill vinegar. We like the taste.​

needmorechickens! :

How much per gallon for the chickens?

What do you mix it with for human consumption?

~Rebecca

>>>Usage: Mix 1 teaspoon per quart of water. Watch birds reaction and make sure it is not too strong for them<<<

a Gallon is 4 quarts - so 4 teaspoons per gallon.

Peace -
Meriah​

Back
Top Bottom