Anyone bought chicks from My Pet Chicken?

horselove

Songster
6 Years
Nov 23, 2015
NY
has anyone bought chicks from MyPetChicken before? they're the only hatchery I found that has all the breeds I'm looking for, here's a list; dominique, ancona, speckeled sussex, golden laced wyandotte, silver spangled hamburg. (all hens)

I haven't bought from MPC, but I have gotten chicks from Meyer, which is the hatchery they dropship from. The chicks were nice and healthy and arrived safely. If you want to save some money, just order straight from Meyer, you'll be getting the same chicks. MPC isn't really a hatchery, they don't hatch the chicks.

Last edited:
Please read this before purchasing, as I want you to make an informative decission.
I've purched from My Pet Chicken for years. I believe in giving any business, person, or situation the benifit of the doubt. Unfortunately doubt out weighs any benefit at this point. Let me begin with why I have serious documented doubts-
Many of my deliveries ended up with fatalities due to improper shipping. From failure to provide heat packets, to strangulation from excelsior packaging, to either too little packaging or too much. All scenarios created ultimate percentage fatality. When I say "ultimate" it's because if they didnt arrive dead you may spend a day or longer tending to a chick or chicks that are weak, failing to thrive. Currently I have one lil newborn in isolation who arrived with a damaged leg. She has the will to live, wants to eat and drink but can only hop on one leg. For her safety I've had to isolate her. She peeps for her flock but I'm torn as to what to do for she will sustain further injury with the flock, but her loneliness creates another form of pain. Note* Three other chicks died within a 48 hr time frame after arrival.
My recent delivery will be my last. I only accepted this because it was an "oops"
re-shipment to make-up for the fact that last year the company sent prodomenatly all roosters. Yep, after so called vent sexing, the company concluded and or speculated that someone on their end grabbed from the wrong bin and packaged roos instead of pullets. Months of one-on-one hand raising, compiled feed costs, new coop construction only to end up with roos and a massive cash/emotional loss that no re-ship could ever replace.
So now your thinking, ok....it happens, but guess what else happens. Scissor beaks that had to be culled due to severity ( multiple cases from multiple breeds), over frizzle for which I had to have euthanized by an avian vet, deformed bodies, eyes, heads. Black breeds that grow up with white feathering, roosters with sprigs ( multiple breeds) and French Marans with no feathering on the legs. A bird with scoliosis, how about a muffles real Americaunna, not a knock off Easter Egger- ( please note I love my Easter Eggers.
A silkie with a silver spiked comb ( not walnut) and deformed foot, I could go on but I think you have a good idea.
The worst of all is the slow deaths of the newborn chicks. Trying to play mirical worker is exhausting and ultimately heartbreaking. I've been raising birds for years so I understand, but they shouldn't ship birds that have obvious deformities, and or weakness just to satisfy an order. The condition of the chicks upon arrival speak volumes as some simply were not good from the get go.
Take your chance if you wish, the people are so kind that you're going to get off the phone thinking they're your best friend and they have your best interest at heart. Just remember that once that box arrives with living creatures peeping to the person for whom will be their "mama or papa" for the next several months then years, nothing or no-one else matters. They're not refundable, My Pet Chicken wont come and chicken sit. Those lil babies need you!
My Pet Chicken won't be by your side as you go through the possible challenges that await you. They will take your call, listen to you cry, and try to ease your pain. And thats when the re-ship, but now order more because there's a minimum safety requirement to ship, spend alittle more cycle starts all over again. Stop the cycle!
Though I do have have some wonderful birds from this company Im asking this-
Try your local feed store, seriously. Your odds are pretty good, and there's no risky shipping on your end. Or better yet, try finding a local farmer, or breeder that has invested not only money, but time, care, and yes tears ( happy and sad) into the raising of their precious flock.
Thank you!
Remember, every order and every persons experience is as unique as the chicken that comes from it.

thanks! I'll take a better look at meyer, what is their shipping minimum?

It's gonna be the same as whatever MPC told you theirs was for your area since Meyer is the one that controls that and ships the chicks :)

Last edited:
I just glanced at the dominiques, one of the breeds on my list, and they're more expensive

I just glanced at the dominiques, one of the breeds on my list, and they're more expensive

Actually they're one cent cheaper at Meyer. Not really much of a difference, but still cheaper, lol.

You mean for females, right? MPC is $3.65 for females. Meyer is $3.64.

Last edited:
OMG sorry you're right I thought the dominiques from MPC were $1 cheaper

They do seem to sell males cheaper than Meyer does but the females are basically the same, it seems. Meyer did used to be even cheaper than them, I think. Perhaps there was a pricing change.

Back
Top Bottom