Anyone else excited for chick season? Just for fun :)

Pics
I have NEVER been more excited! Most people actually don’t know but 90% of the time that I have gotten birds to add to the flock…. Has been on impulse. My dad and I went to the feed store and he just started pointing at the chicks and ducklings he wanted, so… we got them. He was getting more and more and more until we ended up with a total of 18 chicks and ducklings total. Well…. We knew pretty much nothing of raising birds so it has been a journey full of constantly learning. Surprisingly, we have only had to cull two birds, one chick who had major pasty bum and it looked like a hole showing to her organs, and the other being an aggressive rooster. We have been very lucky. Fast forward almost two years, I have Quite literally a Bird brain now and I’ve helped a hen recover from a broken egg inside her, brought back to life two almost dead ducklings, hatched my very first chickens, and … I’ve just learned a lot. A lot of times on BYC I just scroll through threads just absorbing information. Even my Christmas presents this year were totally chicken related. I never knew my flock would become this huge of a part of my life, but they have, and they are so amazing. Ive just came home with more birds other times. Well….. this time… I have a plan…. To finally order chicks from a hatchery this spring. We’ve started selling eggs, but we have so many costumers our hens can’t keep up, and I want blue and green eggs so I’m going to order Easter eggers and olive Eggers!!! I cant waittttt 😍

Also…. I haven’t started like a thread recording our journey… and I can’t decide if I should…… thoughts?

Being on the other side of the world to most of you, I am in the middle of chick season :yesss: Most are several weeks old now so not tiny fluffy babies, but I threw a few more chicken eggs in the incubator with my quail eggs. They are due in a week or so 🥰
20221227_204156.jpg 20221229_080149.jpg

Oh? Have they not been laying? That’s not fun!

She's a homebrewed OE, Marans x EE, that hatched on Easter and still hasn't laid an egg. My son likes her because she's pretty -- a soft buff and blue -- but she's a freeloader.

I traded some of my eggs for some blue eggs from my brother-in-law's beekeeping mentor and only got the one girl.

I have NEVER been more excited! Most people actually don’t know but 90% of the time that I have gotten birds to add to the flock…. Has been on impulse. My dad and I went to the feed store and he just started pointing at the chicks and ducklings he wanted, so… we got them. He was getting more and more and more until we ended up with a total of 18 chicks and ducklings total. Well…. We knew pretty much nothing of raising birds so it has been a journey full of constantly learning. Surprisingly, we have only had to cull two birds, one chick who had major pasty bum and it looked like a hole showing to her organs, and the other being an aggressive rooster. We have been very lucky. Fast forward almost two years, I have Quite literally a Bird brain now and I’ve helped a hen recover from a broken egg inside her, brought back to life two almost dead ducklings, hatched my very first chickens, and … I’ve just learned a lot. A lot of times on BYC I just scroll through threads just absorbing information. Even my Christmas presents this year were totally chicken related. I never knew my flock would become this huge of a part of my life, but they have, and they are so amazing. Ive just came home with more birds other times. Well….. this time… I have a plan…. To finally order chicks from a hatchery this spring. We’ve started selling eggs, but we have so many costumers our hens can’t keep up, and I want blue and green eggs so I’m going to order Easter eggers and olive Eggers!!! I cant waittttt 😍

Also…. I haven’t started like a thread recording our journey… and I can’t decide if I should…… thoughts?
Join my 2023 chick order countdown thread! 😊

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/countdown-to-baby-chicks-2023-edition.1557849/

Back
Top Bottom