Anyone fed their chickens this or something like this?

Our chickens lives depend on us. When they get weird food cravings due to a dietary imbalance, they can't tell us, and they can't raid the pantry themselves.

When I, or Kiki, or whomever responds to a feed/treat post in a way which may seem callous, please understand that its simply that we value the lives of the birds more than some ruffled feelings - particularly as most high empathy posters eventually come to realize and appreciate the value of the advice offered. Blunt allows us, more often than not, to quickly get to the heart of the matter.

Others come with a faith-like belief in the magical power of certain words, "organic", "whole grain", "vegan", "soy free", "corn free" among many others used in advertising feed to entice those who know no better. Many have bought in to the claims that they are somehow superior, by virtue of a label which likely does not mean what most consumers think. They *MAY* have extra value to you - or not - depending upon very specific needs and particular management styles.

That's what advertisers do. They are quite good at it, and no one has the time or resources to research every claim. There is no shame in ignorance, no embarassment in asking questions. The only dumb thing one can do is persist in belief in spite of science and evidence - a choice affecting not only themselves, but the lives of their birds.

/steps off soap box, seeks another cup of coffee.
:caf
I understand and totally appreciate any and all feedback and opinions. That’s why I signed up, posted and asked. I am new at this whole chicken and duck raising thing! My first reaction was to brush my ruffled feathers back down and educate myself….that’s why I’m on here! Thank you for your message.

Point taken. Thank you

They don't need variety. The NEED a complete balanced diet. You may have to learn the hard way to understand how important a complete balanced diet is. I would suggest you spend a week or two reading every thread in the emergency section and pay attention to what these birds are fed. You will notice how many are fed daily treats that end up there in that specific section.
Bah Humbug to you, Kiki. She didn't say her chickens were not getting a balanced diet, just that a tasty treat at times is also a good thing for a well-cared-for flock. No need to be nasty or arrogant on this site.

Bah Humbug to you, Kiki. She didn't say her chickens were not getting a balanced diet, just that a tasty treat at times is also a good thing for a well-cared-for flock. No need to be nasty or arrogant on this site.
They aren't trying to be. See explanation below. I took it harshly when I first joined, but also acknowledged they have way more experience than I do and to listen, take advice while also doing your own thorough research and to not let it hurt my feelings.
When I, or Kiki, or whomever responds to a feed/treat post in a way which may seem callous, please understand that its simply that we value the lives of the birds more than some ruffled feelings - particularly as most high empathy posters eventually come to realize and appreciate the value of the advice offered. Blunt allows us, more often than not, to quickly get to the heart of the matter.

Lol. It’s ok. I’m learning to have strong shoulders…it’s a tough world out there at times, it’s all good, no harm done, thanks thou ;).

They aren't trying to be. See explanation below. I took it harshly when I first joined, but also acknowledged they have way more experience than I do and to listen, take advice while also doing your own thorough research and to not let it hurt my feelings.
Advice can be given to less experienced chicken keepers without being "blunt" or rude. We are all here because we enjoy our flocks and want to improve their lives and keep them healthy...just sayin'.

Ahaha and I raked out the run they stay in when I cannot be here to chase them! Oh my! Lol. I’m surprised I didn’t sweep or vacuum their run too! 🤦🏻‍♀️😂. I’ll go right now and toss some leaves in there for next time they are cooped up!
Big pile! I put at least two of those big lawn bags and it doesn't take them long to have gone through it all!

Lol. It’s ok. I’m learning to have strong shoulders…it’s a tough world out there at times, it’s all good, no harm done, thanks
Advice can be given to less experienced chicken keepers without being "blunt" or rude. We are all here because we enjoy our flocks and want to improve their lives and keep them healthy...just sayin'.
Please , I don’t want to cause a ruckus….it’s fine…thanks to everyone who has responded!

And that's why I have my Acres of weeds. Which I work at improving each year, with additional variety and plants chosen to suppliment their diet or improve my soils.

(and I finally got my soil tests back!)
I love your acre of weeds - I don't pay much attention to my equivalent - I am a sort of 'let it be and see what happens' kind of gardener - but what the chickens have shown me is what an amazing variety of species an unkempt lawn has in it.
Mine seem to get phases of liking some plants and will go specifically for those and then a few weeks later it is a different plant that they are obsessed with.
The one thing they have no interest in is dandelions. No idea why, but the result is I have a lot of them!
It is OK, they are pretty.

Back
Top Bottom