Anyone fed their chickens this or something like this?

I love your acre of weeds - I don't pay much attention to my equivalent - I am a sort of 'let it be and see what happens' kind of gardener - but what the chickens have shown me is what an amazing variety of species an unkempt lawn has in it.
Mine seem to get phases of liking some plants and will go specifically for those and then a few weeks later it is a different plant that they are obsessed with.
The one thing they have no interest in is dandelions. No idea why, but the result is I have a lot of them!
It is OK, they are pretty.
I have a ton of dandelions and the only thing that eats them is our indoor rabbit! And I agree, it’s ok, they are pretty!

I don’t think they are in need of anything better to eat, just something different to try for a change. BSF…bug farming? Hmmmm…not sure. I did try cut up grapes but maybe not the right type of grapes! I will educate myself on Grape plants and it could maybe be a possibility! Thank you!
Try a grazing tray, I have one in my run and plant all sorts of stuff in it. Right now it has spring wheat, kale, mixed lettuce greens, and spinach.

I didn’t really think all natural food and herbs were considered actual treats that would cause issues, and I definitely wouldn’t do it on a daily. I just know, I don’t like eating the same old food each and every day, but I get it. I will read these threads when I’m not catching up on yard work, and watching the hockey play offs! ;) I truly appreciate all feedback! Thank you!!
Agreed. Anything dried, bagged, and on a shelf is a treat, but herbs and veggies are very very beneficial. They supply antioxidants which are crucial to the health of laying hens. They can also be immune boosting. I think that fresh "treats" are very beneficial, and important to a healthy flock.

I live in wicked Canada. Snow belt , so close to a few lakes where we get the blowing snow like crazy some days. I am definitely not a gardener, not sure what would really with stand the weather. I’ll buy the kale and chop it for now anyways. Lol
I would check on the hardiness of you zone before planting too much. I know hardy kiwis are pretty tough. They grow like crazy though need a trellis or fence they are a type of vine bearing plant.

I will, rather uncharacteristically, keep my mouth shut. I haven't a clue what grows in Canada, I just know I don't want to live there (Climate). I dislike heat, but I do NOT do cold.

Also, my "green thumb" is the blue-purple of a freshly swelling black eye - which is an improvement, yes, but nothing to be commended for.

I will, rather uncharacteristically, keep my mouth shut. I haven't a clue what grows in Canada, I just know I don't want to live there (Climate). I dislike heat, but I do NOT do cold.

Also, my "green thumb" is the blue-purple of a freshly swelling black eye - which is an improvement, yes, but nothing to be commended for.
Ahahah I love your description! Yes we have some heat but the cold is pretty damn 🥶 cold! I try my best to embrace it but it’s definitely hard, I’d like to act like a bear and hibernate if I could! And I am far from being a gardener!

Back
Top Bottom