anyone from new zealand

Thread necromancy - hope nobody minds
tongue.png

I'm here in the Manawatu.
Have been since January. Pretty new to keeping chickens. I have a few barred rock boys, 5 ex-battery shavers and a bunch of mixed breed Rhodey looking birds
smile.png

Also got a couple of ducks and a guinea.

In the future I'd kinda like something with green eggs (EE/araucana?) and maybe something with dark eggs (maran?) and maybe speckled or white
smile.png
If I was going to start getting fussy about breeds.

Kinda looking forward to finding out what the chicks of my BR roo are going to look like come spring time.

Hi,
Im from Nelson. Fairly new to having chooks and only have 2 buff sussex and a light sussex after discovering the other three were indeed roosters.

At present we have 12 fertilised eggs (6 barred rocks and 6 light sussex) under one of our buff girls (B1) and they were due to hatch yesterday. Was beginning to panic as thought something may be wrong however noticed that there is a tiny crack in one and the awesome sounds of strong chirping, I cant describe the feeling I felt on discovering this an hour ago:D

kiwi checking in =]
imin the middle of the south island, got 4 hens of unknown breeds.. check my threads for the thread for the pics =]

Another Kiwi over here... Moving down south to Winton in a couple of weeks. Leaving the big city of Wellington so this will be my first time with chickens!

I've fallen in love with Black Orpingtons (also featured in my favourite childhood book 'The Power of One') and the beauty of barnevelders.

However I am wondering about the best way to start up a flock.. from eggs? or babies? Any suggestions would be great!

Quote:
We started by being given 2 older shavers and buying 2 barne pullets. Really easy way to start. No lamps etc, one sort of food. And no waiting for eggs.

Quote:
Not sure what you mean when you say medicated. I am giving my 5 week old chicks 'Chick Choice' which is stock feed from Weston Milling. It contains Coccidiostat. I get it from Appletons Poultry supplies. www.chooks.co.nz/poultry-supplies. Maybe she could contact them, they are really helpful and will be able to help her out Im sure.

Back
Top Bottom