Anyone hatching duck eggs right now?

Yep fell off. And drying some so not shivering now. Seems to be a little more lively now. I was getting worried. 23 more to go.
pop.gif

What cute babies!
love.gif
I have 12 spotted australians in lockdown right now and today is hatch day. 7 have pipped so far, 1 is in the process of zipping. These are my first duck eggs and I'm pretty excited.
wee.gif
But, I just noticed that one of them that had pipped a few hours ago, now has a spot of blood over the pip site. Has anyone had this happen before? I haven't seen it before with any of my chicken hatches. I hate the thought of intervening, but I hate the thought of losing one of these guys.
hu.gif

At this point (with blood showing) I think your better off not helping. B/c when you do help & see blood your suppose to stop and leave alone for a couple hours or so. ~ the baby might have scratched a vein or something inside. Also today is hatch day, so your right on time. Good luck & fingers are crossed for your baby.
fl.gif
~Julie~

How are things going mlward? This is my first hatching but I also read if see blood stop and wait. I had 3 eggs that didn't hatch that had blood inside and wondered if they tried to get out but bleed to death.

I lost a few call babies but I have 4 calls (1 snowy, 1 white and two magpies) and 4 regular duckies that are about 2-3 weeks old and 2 little ones that just hatched out yesterday. I have lost quite a few bobwhites and pheasants (obviously they arent housed with the ducks lol) I have a house full of babies and it is starting to take a toll on me. I love my wee calls though, put them in the tub last night, it was definately bath time.

Quote:
It needs to dry and fluff out in the bator where it is nice and warm, the dangly part sound like where it was attached to the egg and will be fine and gone in no time.

How long do you leave them in the bator before you move them out to dry and warm? i have the "chickubator" just a small one (teaching my daughter about the the lifecycle of a duck) and I am worried about them having enough room in there to get out! Its a tight squeeze in there with 2 pekin duck eggs!

I have read to leave them in up to 24 hrs or more. I took mine out at 12 hrs because I had the ducks that came out sooner crawling all over the eggs, pecking at the wings and beaks of the ones trying to come out. Plus they seemed to still be damp and dried faster under the heat light. This was my first call duck hatch so I am not sure if 12 hrs. is long enough but that's what I did.

Oh and I made sure they were energetic before taking out at 12 hrs. I did leave a few in longer that took longer to move around and seemed a little weaker at first. Maybe they had a harder time working on getting out of their egg.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom