Anyone have 4-5 week old Barred Rock pics?

CowgirlPenny

Songster
8 Years
Feb 17, 2011
South East TN
I'd like to compare two I suspect are Roo's.
wink.png
I have three 4 week, 5 day old Barred Plymouth Rocks, two in question.

This is my BR baby roo at 4.5 weeks, with two BR pullets of same age in background.He was extremely dark black as a chick with a distinctive white spot on head, which is said to be characteristic of pullets. Yet, he was distinctively behaviorally rooish on day 3, though the smallest chick I had. He has dramatically redder and bigger comb, showed wide white barring early, is much grayer now than pullets, is about 30% bigger, and has thick yellow legs with just a bit of black on them. He was late getting a tail by a few days but feathered out wings very rapidly.

This is not the best picture but the two pullets in the back truly are much blacker than he. Their combs are yellowish and small.

81401_worf.jpg

Oh boy. LOL

So, your BR pullets don't have a red comb? I have one who has a yellow-ish or I guess slightly pink comb, but the other two have light red, turning to red combs that actually LOOK like small combs, and not just three small bumps and I don't know if I'm imagining it or what but there seems to be a small area just below their beak without fur that would be the exact place the wattle would be.

Here is another showing roo front, pullet behind. Not the greatest shots, sorry.

81401_worfoceana.jpg

He actually has very bright red spot where wattle coming in. Not visible in this shot.

Here's another, him in middle, pullets both sides, shot a night under brooder light so color not great.

81401_3br.jpg

Last edited:
No, the pullets have more yellowish combs. I would think by this age you would see a dramatic difference in coloration. The roo is much lighter gray. Not even close to the pullets.

My pullets also have a dark black wash on the legs (which I forgot to check for when I picked out the roo)
he.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom