anyone heard of crock pot incubation?

Oddly enough, while building my incubator today it occured to me that I could use a crock pot! I know for a fact that MINE is too hot (too hot for yogurt means too hot for eggs) BUT there are some out there that have a "warm" feature.

I played around with my dehydrator and I might just get around to trying that one too. Punch out a few trays to make the side walls but shelves, put in a dish of water turn it up and it should be good to go!

Quote:
You guys just gave me an excellent idea of using crock pot to build a high quality bator or hatcher with very little modification.

WOW!

It is going to be something like old Brower metal bator, very reliable

and quality bator.

I am going shopping for a crook pot today!

I don't know, but I know that my grandma used to incubate eggs in her oven when she was a kid. They'd wake up to chicks in the oven.
big_smile.png

preppy*hippie*chick :

Quote:
whats a DH ?

I always thought it was darn husband! Really.​

lol!

I have a crockpot and no bator. Hmmm... off to do some research
tongue.png

I'm trying to round up a few fertile eggs and then I'm off to fill up my crock pot. What a fabulous idea! I have a simple one, not very big, but it has the "keep warm" setting that should be perfect. I'll put a shot glass of water in there with a thermometer stuck in the water to track it for a day and see what happens. Don't want to cook the eggs!

I'll report back on the whole process. This is great! I knew I'd have a use for that thing again some day.

Anyone have any idea where I can hide a crockpot for 3 weeks so DH can't find it?
cool.png

I'm so going to get a digital thermometer tonight... I'm actually COOKING in the crock pot right now otherwise I'd be at the store already. I have a warm setting - maybe that'll work?

Quote:
Now thats what you call chicken nuggets..LOL
lau.gif

On another thought. I wouldnt put the eggs directly on the bottom of the crockpot.. I would put wire to raise them off of the bottom. Or maybe not touching the sides.. I dont know.. I just got a new crockpot and threw out my old one that took to long to cook. Darn it. That one could have been used for trying to hatch eggs. But my mind wasnt on hatching eggs then.. My addiction didnt start yet..

Oh my what a great idea! I've been putting off getting a bator until next Spring, but if I can do this I may just go for it
big_smile.png
I'm off to hit the garage sales this weekend...whomever decides to do this, please post pics & info!! TIA
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom