anyone heard of crock pot incubation?

Or Dumb husband! Depending on someones current mood!!
lol.png

I know someone who has 2 eggs in an electric diaper wipe warmer. They are on day 11 iIthink. She says they are developing. Says her temps run about 101 or so. Heck who knows, maybe they will hatch!

Y'all, if my crockpot will stay around 100 I WILL be trying this out. I'm going to get the thermometer tonight and I'll make a water wiggler and see what the temp stays at tonight and tomorrow. I guess I'll have to try to find a hydrometer as well...

I just tested my warm setting on the crockpot and it was 140 degrees. So that won't work unless you can rig up something that cools it down to the right temp. But it was a great idea. It would have been an easy thing to do. I was hoping it would work. I have been trying to rig up a homemade incubator today so I just tried that too.

That's a good idea to put wire down so the eggs are not directly on the bottom or resting against the sides. The other thing about using the crock pot is that you need to keep the lid cracked a bit. Maybe that will lower that 140 degree temp enough so it can work.
hu.gif

Quote:
On the kitchen counter.
gig.gif

I tried the crockpot method before I broke down and bought a bator. I had trouble keeping the temp correct and turning them and keeping the humidity up. Some developed but all died prior to day 18. I didn't know what I was doing. (even with a bator it took several tries before I developed a system that worked well)

Lessons learned/ things to think about:

Set and measure the temp setting long before putting in any eggs to get the temp just right to keep from cooking the eggs.
Determine weither you will keep the lid on tight and loose circulation or keep the lid loose and loose humidity? This will affect the temp setting.
How to rotate eggs? Tilt the whole crockpot or open to move individually.
How to keep the water off the eggs.
How to add more water.
I needed a better way to store the eggs in the bator. I was trying to hatch out way too many eggs for the small crock pot. (12) Four would have been better. Six max if tilting the whole crockpot.

Good luck in your experiments. keep the thread posted. I'm interested.

Back
Top Bottom