Anyone impatiently waiting for your baby chicks to arrive?!?!

I'm using cardboard boxes in a dog cage for a brooder. I have cats and dogs. Wondering where to keep the chicks at bedtime? Where does everyone keep their brooders?

I have kept brooders in my spare room, the laundry room, the other spare room, and now have a coop large enough that I can keep it in there. Of course that means the brooder is larger now too.
wink.png
All of these spaces have doors on them that I can keep the dogs and cats out of.

My brooders have been....
A cardboard box with lid made of a simple frame and wire
A round plastic tub that was scrap from work (about 3' in diameter) with the same simple lid
A wooden base on legs with a more effective simple frame and wire (hinges that time)
This time I have built the brooder by copying the one on the coops pages that amferro103 made (modified for us of course) I put legs and a frame under it so I can store the equipment and feed under the brooder as well as sized to fit my space better. When I am done using it I can store the stand inside the brooder.

I can't wait for mine. I ordered 6 baby chicks from my pet chicken but a local hatchery that I just found out about has all the breeds I want so I might cancel and pick them up locally since it's only a 30 minute drive.

Best option, you know they wont endure much stress for sure. DOWN SIDE ,,,,,,,,,,, You may be tempted to buy more... =D=D=D

I can't wait for mine. I ordered 6 baby chicks from my pet chicken but a local hatchery that I just found out about has all the breeds I want so I might cancel and pick them up locally since it's only a 30 minute drive.

I wish I was only 30 minutes from a hatchery! DH is glad I am not.
hide.gif

You lucky dog.

Best option, you know they wont endure much stress for sure.   DOWN SIDE ,,,,,,,,,,, You may be tempted to buy more... =D=D=D

Chicken math has already hit When I ordered the 6 baby chicks. I went to the ne poultry congress and brought home 2 silkies. Then my husband didn't want to wait for eggs so we ordered three 20 week rhode island red/white rock pullets from a farm an hour away which we will get next month. That puts us at 11 by ApriI. I have to see how big our coop that we are getting from a friend is. We are allowed 20 chickens in my city so I figure I'll add a few each year so they all dont stop laying at same time.

I am so excited vto get my chic's next Saturday I am getting my chic's!
1f414.png
1f413.png
I have a question what type of container to raise them in?

How many chicks are you getting? Will you brood in the house or in the coop? If in the coop what size is the coop? Other pets that may think chicks are undercooked nuggets?
A lot of people use a large cardboard box like from a fridge or furniture.
I built a wooden one. ( I like to build things that are useful )
There are folks using the huge rubbermaid containers. (Make sure to have a wire top for ventilation)

I guess it depends on circumstances really.

Ordered mine last week, I have to wait till April 20th already wishing I could get them now.
but we are moving end of march so my wife wanted us to have a few weeks to get settled.
ordered from McMurray Hatchery
5 Araucana/Ameraucana
3 Rhode Island Red
3 Barred Rock's
2 Partridge Rock's
2 Columbian Wyandotte's
All female
and a free Rare Exotic (probably a male)

did a lot of research a few years back then found out we couldn't have them and my wife didn't want to risk getting in trouble.
Now we are moving and can have 24 so I thought id start with 15 egg layers may get some Meat birds next year.

I am waiting for 12 Wheaten Ameraucana's from a local ABC breeder. They should be here between March 7th-13th. I'm shooting for 4-6 hens. Daughter and I are so excited. The wife... not so much. lol

Thank you! Everything went great! It was so easy. I was so worried something was gonna go wrong. Found it okay. Didn't have to wait but a few minutes. Babies are ADORABLE!!!!!! All but 3 are named...I'm gonna have to get leg bands for them bc I can't tell them apart and I'm usually really good at that sort of thing.

Looks like in the Silkie department I got 3 white, 1 black, 1 buff, and 1 partridge.

With the blue Swedish it looks like I'll have 1 black and 1 gray.

Names silkies:
Black - Minecraft (my nephew named it)
Partridge - Kotetsu (me and my hubby named it)
Buff- Totoro (daughter)

Ducks:
Gray - Tiana (cousin. Wish I got to name my own pets)
Black - Kanye (sister named her after Kanye West... Bc this duckling needs to learn when to SIT DOWN! She was trying to break out of the box. Lol)

Yay!!! Congrats!! they are sooooooo adorable.

Back
Top Bottom