Anyone in the US have the Sepia Muscovy gene?

The diffrance is NOT in wheather they are wild type or not. Its a dilution of the skin.. not feathers.. SKIN.. So if your bird has red carcuncles, or yellow feet and yellow or black bill it is NOT a sepia, all pigment has to be diluted to brown.

As for what color the ducks in the photo are, they are not sepia, read my above post.. If you want a color ID post, please start one.

ok, I understand what you are saying, but to me it doesn't look like your birds have brown skin. They male you show had red caruncles just like most other muscovys. So what is it that makes him sepia other than his feather coloring?
I am just wondering what exactly I am looking for. You say it affects the skin, but like I said, the feet and caruncles on your birds looks just like the rest of the muscovy.

Quote:
Wait, do you mean the difference between Sepia and Chocolate, or between Sepia and Bronze? I was asking about the latter, wondering if they're both based on the Sepia gene, but one is Sepia-Dusky and the other is Sepia-WildType. I really don't know....that's why I was asking.

smile.png

Quote:
Yes, and I stated that when I posted the photo, however this is what is being called a sepia in Europe.

No, sepia is not based on the bronze gene, it is a stand alone gene. It has nothing to do with bronze, wild type, dusky or anything else.

Quote:
Ah....ok...sorry for the confusion, but on the Muscovy Forum, I read some people thinking that Sepia and Bronze were based on the same gene, either with modifiers making the distinction, or the action of another unknown single gene. That's what made me think of dusky possibly being the thing that reduced the bronzy-brown tones to make Sepia.

So Bronze and Sepia are the result of completely different genes? hmmm........
caf.gif

The sepia is desgnated as "f" the bronze is not.. "sepia is a mutant. It is a stand alone mutation that causes a specific phenotype." this from a man that worked with Dr. Hollander for over 20yrs.. so.. I believe him.

Quote:
Oh, I'm not denying that sepia is a separate gene....I'm wondering if the similarity between sepia and bronze is because, perhaps, "bronze" is really "sepia-dusky" (or the other way around, perhaps the "sepia" gene was first discovered in muscovies that were also dusky, and sepia without dusky = bronze).

I'm just trying to figure it out.

smile.png

ETA -- so is the "Bronze gene" known? Is it at a different locus? Or is it Sepia plus (or minus) something else?

hu.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom