Anyone know what this animal is???????

Quote:
How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood???

Sry, couldn't resist....
tongue.png

Bluemoon

Nutria are not native to the US and really only are seen in the deep south.

Nutria=rat like tail, only in the deep south, from what I hear also tasty

I'm in the Pacific Northwest. Beaverton to be exact (just outside of Portland Oregon)

We have LOTS of nutria here. They were imported for fur and released and thrive here. Lots of water and all that. There are a bunch at our local lake/park.

The big, deep orange teeth are the giveaway. That's how you can tell the nutria from a muskrat. They both have ratlike tails.

I really don't know much about their habits, but I know they creep me out. Yuck.​

Quote:
This was a furry tail more than a rat like tail. About 6 inches so I am going to guess groundhog. Like Cheryl said I am in MA so probably a groundhog. I will try to get a better picture at some point. I just didn't think groundhogs got so plump. But I guess they do. Now I am curious and going to search pictures of woodchuck vs. groundhog.

Ground Hog, most definitely in this region. Last week I was very fortunate, as a ground hog dug a tunnel into one of my horse's stalls. While she was in it! She could have injured herself stepping into it - it went down about a foot.

My mother said she saw it on the stone wall the other day - ooh, time for Moxie to go hunting .....

P9120032.jpg

Get it Moxie - Get it!

I found this image on the internet and it says woodchuck. It looks just like the picture I took.

woodchuck.jpg

(I didn't know this but) I found out that woodchuck and groundhogs are the same animal....**from internet** Woodchucks, also called groundhogs, are members of the marmot family. They are also called whistling pigs.
lol.png

**another excert from internet which I thought was interesting**...If you are interested. This is MA law but may be in other states as well.

Relocating wildlife is illegal in Massachusetts. It is detrimental to the well-being of wildlife as well as the public. Unknowingly, sick animals may be transported and released in other locations, causing the spread of disease. Animals released in unfamiliar territory have a hard time surviving. They must compete with resident animals, and they have difficulty finding food and shelter. Furthermore, relocation is ineffective: each time a territory opens, there is always another woodchuck "waiting in the wings."

It is also against state law to possess wild birds and mammals. Wildlife rehabilitators are trained and licensed by the state to care for injured and orphaned wildlife. If you need the services of a rehabilitator contact MassWildlife (Massachusetts Division of Fisheries and Wildlife ) at 508-366-4470, or Mass Audubon's Wildlife Information line at 781-259-2150.

According to state law, animals which are damaging property can be destroyed under certain conditions. MassWildlife should be contacted if this course of action is being considered.

The best way to deal with them if ruining building is to bury hardware cloth 10 inches below soil around the foundation.

Thanks all!!!! It is always a learning experience on here!!!

I'll tell you a little story about an evil ground hog with a bad grudge.... My father was driving down a road one day and accidently ran one over a few blocks from his house at the time, the next morning he got up for work and went to turn the car over and got nothing, deader than a door nail. He lifts up the hood to find a woodchuck (not the one he hit but a relative im guessing) The woodchuck was growling at him and making all kinds of scary noises, he had chewed every wire he could under the hood. I can't tell you how many times that thing was shot before he finally dropped but it was several. My pops was NOT a happy camper and the car never ran the same after... Poor firebird

Last edited:
Our dog that just passed away was an expert at "getting" groundhogs. I didn't even know there were any around, but she got 'em.

They will leave VERY nasty holes. You could definitely break your leg if you didn't know the hole was there. If you don't "take care of it", be very careful of the large holes it could leave!

definitely groundhog/woodchuck (same thing). i'm just up in maine from you and am currently under contract with a local water supply district and these things are burrowing into the dams on LARGE bodies of water for public consumption.
how do you say, not good! get them out as soon as possible. they will multiply, will chew all greens, and will burrow all over. this in time will cave in causing property damage and possibly injury.
just my two cents though being a wildlife damage control operator.

Back
Top Bottom