April 2020 Hatch-A-Long! All are welcome!

Yikes! At least you can get her treated now before they hatch. That's something.
Yes, that’s a positive! She was NOT happy with me spraying her that’s for sure 🤦🏽‍♀️ I tried my best not to spray any permethrin directly into the eggs. Praying there’s no negative effects.

Tomorrow the coop will be completely cleaned out and resprayed. Of course this all happened within minutes of a big ole storm so diluted the mixture, sprayed all hens, the run area, the bush they hangout under, the coop, and took cover!
I also have my tried and true broody girl now in mama mode too so I’m sure she’s next to be infested. We had good luck with permethrin last spring right about this time so I’m hopeful it will eradicate them again. Fingers crossed!

Sounds like it's under control. I've had to treat day old chicks before. I used a pinch of poultry dust directly on each chick. Then, same as you, clean/treat the environment and rest of the flock. I've read broodies are particularly prone to mites.
Yes I’ve also read that about the broodys several times as well. Should have seen this coming. She has been very difficult to deal with and I’ve been forcing her outside everyday to do her normal chicken duties. She usually takes a half second dust bath which clearly hasn’t been enough.

I've bought two sets of birds with lice before.. I was so mad, but I found elector psp and that stuff works miracles! I posted on facebook if anyone had some they would sell because it's so expensive new and found someone who sent me some for free! I never have a mite problem again after using it.
Ooh good to know! Is there an egg withdrawal period for that treatment? I always thought there was for permethrin but recently I’ve seen the big dog mentors on BYC saying that there isn’t. I’m kind of torn as the girls have really started ramping up production and I would rather not go to the store during this pandemic for eggs.

I have plenty of permethrin but always am careful where I spray. Especially because the bees and my neighbor has a barn cat that sometimes wanders.

Ooh good to know! Is there an egg withdrawal period for that treatment? I always thought there was for permethrin but recently I’ve seen the big dog mentors on BYC saying that there isn’t. I’m kind of torn as the girls have really started ramping up production and I would rather not go to the store during this pandemic for eggs.

I have plenty of permethrin but always am careful where I spray. Especially because the bees and my neighbor has a barn cat that sometimes wanders.
No I don't think there is any withdrawl for it that I remember. I've used permethrin too and it didn't do anything for me :/ Also permethrin smells a lot stronger to me than elector psp. I'm a big fan! Lol. All I did was spray each hen's vent and a little spray under their wings and then cleaned the coop out and sprayed every part and let it air out. I never had to burn bedding or anything. In the run I sprinkled DE around just one time. It seems to work over here.

Back
Top Bottom