April Hatch Thread--Come Join Us!

ok here are pictures from my 1st hatch ever !!!!! we had the 1st out last sunday and the last out yeasterday... high humidity and low temps.... ALL had to be assisted once they piped as none could zip (no air sack at all!) 2 had to be piped as well... took 24-48 hours to get each chick 1/2 way out of shell after pip, no blood loss on any
wee.gif
and ALL are healthy and happy!!!! total at 15 chicks!!!!!!!
love.gif
bow.gif

oops those are not chicks :) but still super cute!

OMG...................Looks just like my girl Blue when she was a puppy.
We had to have her put to sleep a few weeks ago.Her arthritis was so bad she kept falling.
She would have been 14 years old this month.......I miss her.she was a good friend.

That chick has little devil horns on the top of his head! Lol, too cute!

He does! Evil is incredibly cute at that age though.
love.gif

Ok, I really am losing it!! My eggs haven't even arrived yet (should be here on Wednesday) and I could have sworn I heard a cheep this afternoon!!! I am so chicken crazy I am having audio hallucinations!!!!

It only gets worse.
lau.gif

So, out of the 9 Swedish flower hens, 12 bresse and 12 salmon faverolles, I had 2 of each hatch.

Both faverolles were the first out and one has a sway leg (already has his wrap on) and the other has turned toes (again, already vet wrapped). Other 4 chicks are perfect.

Out of the 9 SFH- 6 were clear and tossed a couple weeks back.

8 of the bresse were fully formed but died in the shell. The one bresse was pipping but not progressing so we helped him, he is doing great. Then Saturday we started opening the eggs at the air cell to see what was going on. Should have done it sooner but we did find the one bresse who was just turned and unable to pip the egg. That was the issue with all of the bresse, they were positioned wrong.

So 6 out of 31 hatched. Not very good hatch rate but the temps and humidity were perfect. They are in an auto turner, forced air. I sat them small side down before setting. Increased humidity to 70% during lockdown. The only thing I can think of is that the shipping and the cold just really weakened the eggs and messed up their positioning.

I have sussex eggs due next week and just received 20 more swedish flower hen eggs. I have decided not to use the auto turner. I am going to hand turn like I always did for the parrot eggs. I am upping the temperature from 99.5 to 100 and see if it makes a difference. I am also going to move the eggs to a still air incubator for lockdown and see if that makes a difference.

The sussex are due Thursday, if by Friday evening they are not out, I am going to break into the air cell just to see what is going on- if they need help or more time. It is very depressing to open eggs and find more than a dozen fully formed chicks, yolks gone but the chicks dead just within a short time. No bad smell, I think we just missed the opportunity to save them, literally by hours.

If anyone has other suggestions I would appreciate them.

Here are some of the chicks! I think 17 is going to be our number
big_smile.png
. There are nine in the incubator still, but I'm pretty sure they are quitters.

Sticky - she zipped completely but then got stuck badly. Her head was glued to her body with her wing glued to her face. She seems to be doing great, though! I'm so glad.

One of our store bought egg babies. They're so cute and fluffy!

The yellow one is the first one I had to help (just zipped for her) and the other is our first hatcher.

Fuzzant - SO CUTE THE FLUFFY CHEEKS (Fuzzant is what Clementine called Phesants when she was little. Mark named the chick that for obvious reasons.)

Seriously it's so cute I can barely stand it.

This one is a little spitfire.

Pretty bitsy baby. She's one smaller than a lot of the others.

Lulu

I think these two are so pretty and interesting.

Here they are! Sweet babies.

Last edited:
welp no baby Quail yet. Im thinking i should have waited on them as they were my first 2 from the hens i bought. Candled my mallard eggs and found that 2 have gone rotten. So that leaves me with 1 Mallard and one Goose on Tuesday. crossing my fingers

Ok, I really am losing it!!  My eggs haven't even arrived yet (should be here on Wednesday) and I could have sworn I heard a cheep this afternoon!!! I am so chicken crazy I am having audio hallucinations!!!!

Yes,, you have the fever! They only way to treat it is to hatch some chicks. I'm sorry to tell you that there is no cure. However you are in the right place. Welcome to our therapy group.

Back
Top Bottom