Araucana thread anyone?

Hatching never gets old, 2 lavenders and 1 Black split so far
jumpy.gif
Super! I'm the same way, I never get tired of hatching or hearing about other people's hatches

I need to take some photo's to update on my chocolate project. It's coming along well after changing up my plan a little. The chocolate cockerel I used in the beginning was just not putting out what I wanted to see. Only one chocolate pullet chick made it through culling and she's small enough that I'm breeding her for bantam size but she lays the most beautiful deep, rich color turquoise blue egg.

So, I started over this spring with 2 large fowl chocolate pullets and hatched some chicks that luckily were mostly cockerels. I am Very pleased with this cross. The cockerels are the deepest black, with the most deep dark green sheen I've ever seen. They are all rumpless, all clean faced and there will be work to be done on type but it's minimal. They are large, heavy cockerels, the skin is white but they carry a yellow and a white gene so another generation into the Araucana lines and that will be on it's way to being corrected. They all carry chocolate so they are being bred back to their mothers with the hope for some rumpless chocolate cockerels and pullets but they are also in with the black Araucana pullets hatched this spring. None of the pullets are laying yet but they should be any time now and they are all black to black bred and very nice, some are tufted, all are rumpless. I hope to hatch a few this fall, if the pullets are willing to lay for me. I've had pullets that took a year to lay.

I put the chocolate hens in the Barred Hollands pen to give the girls a little time off and wouldn't you know, the cockerel finally decided to mature and bred them. I only have one of 5 Barred Hollands laying so far but they are fertile and I have some of the chocolate hens eggs in the bator fertile by the Holland cockerel. They're back in the pen with the chocolate project cockerels now but I hope I can hatch a couple of barred cockerels, they will carry chocolate too. That would be pretty neat bred back to couple of black Araucana hens. I might get some chocolate barred Araucana crosses and the Holland lays a nice white egg, small comb, yellow skin and red ear lobes.

The Dun hens have played hard to get with my Araucana rooster so they were put in the chocolate project pen to see if I can get some fertile eggs because so far, nothing fertile. I have a good feeling, these cockerels are very actively pursuing so we'll see. As my pure black pen improves with each generation, they will provide blacks to use in the chocolate, barred and dun groups and I hope to have something chocolate to share by this fall. It's exciting to know that I have such nice first generation cockerels but at the same time, I'm anxious to hatch chocolates.

Hi. I am in the UK and have hatched some black and cuckoo rumpless Araucanas ( UK standard). Can anybody tell me what colours I am likely to get if I put them to my gold duckwing rumpless boy please? I am not wanting to show them, am just interested in some garden birds.

Good morning , a newbie to the Araucana world thanks to Ray n Debi. I have three I hatched out on Memorial day. They are the funniest little trio. I'm really hoping for all girls , cause here on Long Island where I live I can't have Roos. They are free ranging in my back yard with my other girls and loving it. They have no problem pushing their way in to get treats unlike the hens that were born in April. I have a large variety of pretty girls....EEs , spitzenhauben , Russian Orloff , polish, rose comb bantam and the list goes on but if you ask, using chicken math, I only have 6.... Just 6....

Good morning , a newbie to the Araucana world thanks to Ray n Debi. I have three I hatched out on Memorial day. They are the funniest little trio. I'm really hoping for all girls , cause here on Long Island where I live I can't have Roos. They are free ranging in my back yard with my other girls and loving it. They have no problem pushing their way in to get treats unlike the hens that were born in April. I have a large variety of pretty girls....EEs , spitzenhauben , Russian Orloff , polish, rose comb bantam and the list goes on but if you ask, using chicken math, I only have 6.... Just 6....

I LOVE the 3 cuties I hatched from Ray n Debi as well super healthy and active! So thankful to have the additions to my ever growing flock!!!

Using chicken math, I have 10. You don't count babies--too young. You don't count bantams--too small. You don't count ducks, geese, turkeys, guineas, or peafowl--they're not chickens. You don't count them if they don't have a tail--who ever heard of a chicken without a tail? Let me add them up. I have 10.

Hi. I am in the UK and have hatched some black and cuckoo rumpless Araucanas ( UK standard). Can anybody tell me what colours I am likely to get if I put them to my gold duckwing rumpless boy please? I am not wanting to show them, am just interested in some garden birds.

It will depend on the genes your black and cuckoo hens have. A black hen can actually be duckwing under black, do you know the color of the black hens parents? The same as the black hen, the cuckoo can have other color's/pattern genes. With the cuckoo hen, you'll get sex linked chicks, all the barred will be cockerels and all the solids will be pullets. If you don't know who's egg is who, though, the black hens eggs will throw all that off since their cockerel chicks will not be barred.
If some of the hens have a pattern gene, you could definitely hatch some with patterns but I would expect to see quite a few blacks and the black cockerels will have red leakage.

There is also a UK Araucana breeders group here at BYC.

Using chicken math, I have 10. You don't count babies--too young. You don't count bantams--too small. You don't count ducks, geese, turkeys, guineas, or peafowl--they're not chickens. You don't count them if they don't have a tail--who ever heard of a chicken without a tail? Let me add them up. I have 10.[/quote

OK sorry I miscounted I have 7.....

Back
Top Bottom