Araucana thread anyone?

I Love it too! Awesome
smile.png

The reason your profile pix is blurry, as far as I understand is they had to resize them during the conversion. All you have to do is re-upload your picture to take care of that

Hi Araucana folks -
I'm a newby on all the genetic stuff but a quick question. I hatched some Araucana chicks last year (from Illia). I ended up with one nice hen, rumpless but no tufts or maybe very small miniscule tufts? (she's got a bit of fluff in the right spot if you look close).
And then I've got one beautiful big-tufted roo - but has a tail. And then I've got one lovely rumpless roo but no tufts.
So...which would be the better mate for my one hen if I'm searching for that elusive tufted, rumpless bird?
Thanks!

If you want the tufts out of that breeding group, then you're going to have to go with the tufted roo. There is no way to get tufts without one of the parents having them and you should get a good percentage of rumples birds out of those two parents as well.

Thanks! At what point can you tell if my hen has the "tufted" gene by the very small tufts I see on her? Wondering if there are pictures I can compare to somewhere...

but no tufts or maybe very small miniscule tufts? (she's got a bit of fluff in the right spot if you look close).

Are you talking about fluff like this, the small little bits on this boy's face?

Those are not tufts. I used to wonder if maybe they were ittsy small tufts, but alas, they are not. I have seen them on enough clean faced Araucana, and bred this boy enough times to be sure that they are not tufts.
If you're not talking about these on your hen, then post a pic and we can try and tell you what she's got going on.

Granites2001,

Maybe Cathy Hill would have hatching eggs available. I am drawing a blank on her BYC name. Someone else here can post it. I am assuming you are looking for araucana by your thread that was moved. I will have hatching eggs available in a month or so.

Lanae

I just heard a chick peeping at me from the incubator. this weeks hatch is well underway it seems. I love the sound of an egg shell cracking.

I will take a pic of one of last weeks chicks out of my duckwing pen. It is all white except for a tiny stripe on top of its head and a little bit of a stripe on its back. Some of the feathers are coming in duckwing coloration but creme and greyish black. I can't wait to see how it feathers out and totally hope it lives.

Lanae

Ah..might be like that. I'll go look again tomorrow in the light. I don't think I have a good head shot of her. I should post her because I'm not really sure what color she is and would like to know. She is very pretty gray with white lacing around neck onto back. Although not "standard" colors I do believe...

Are you talking about fluff like this, the small little bits on this boy's face?

Those are not tufts. I used to wonder if maybe they were ittsy small tufts, but alas, they are not. I have seen them on enough clean faced Araucana, and bred this boy enough times to be sure that they are not tufts.
If you're not talking about these on your hen, then post a pic and we can try and tell you what she's got going on.

Lanae,
So funny you said that to Granites2001, she just sent me a dozen hatching egg out of her 2 lovely blue hens, the pretty splash pullet she got from me and the rooster, while he isn't perfect, he has some super nice tufts. I can't wait to see what we get. I popped them in the incubator last night late. Very pretty, blue eggs. Her hens are rumpless so I'm sure she will be hatching some of her own soon too. She lives north of me and I hope at some time we can get together and actually meet.

Cathy

Back
Top Bottom