Araucana thread anyone?

This was listed in a sale I received from Stromburgs:
Ameraucanas, known as "Easter Egg Breed", are known for their colorful eggs. They are beautiful birds with beards, muffs and a normal tail with a tail head. Many times they are incorrectly called Araucanas, which have ear tufts and are rumpless which gives them a bunny tail appearance.

This was listed in a sale I received from Stromburgs:
Ameraucanas, known as "Easter Egg Breed", are known for their colorful eggs. They are beautiful birds with beards, muffs and a normal tail with a tail head. Many times they are incorrectly called Araucanas, which have ear tufts and are rumpless which gives them a bunny tail appearance.

Do I laugh or do I cry? Laugh or Cry?????? Clearly they are trying. They have missed the mark though. Why is this so hard for the hatcheries to understand?
Perhaps i am jumping the gun though - where they in fact selling easter egg chicks along with this description, or is this just them trying to explain the difference between Ameraucanas and Araucanas?
Bunny tail appearance........ well,...... uhm....... OK...... ?

I think they are trying. I love the bunny tail
lau.gif
Sounds nicer then what I call them which is 'no butts'.
I think that so many people call the EE's Ameraucanas, Americana's and Araucanas that the hatcheries are trying to cover all bases. They are not going to tell anyone that they don't have the true thing. A lot of people think the hatcheries have the better chickens and us back yarders have mutts.

Hello, I am new to this thread, and we just hatched, 6 weeks ago, our first hatch. I was lucky enough to have two Araucanas hatch out of the 12 eggs we had, We got our eggs from the University of Arkansas Poultry sciences department. One of the Professors has several breeds that he raises as a hoby to maintain the breeds. We are enjoying the birds, but they are very "pecky" to the others in the flock. Any wisdom on this? Suggestions to make them stop?

The only thing that I can think of is to be sure that there is plenty of other interesting and safe things in their environment for them to pick and peck at. They do so like to pick at stuff.
Were there any tufts to start with - before the others picked them out? It's so common for them to pull each other's tufts out!!!! Quite pesky.
congratulation on your Araucana!

I think they are trying. I love the bunny tail
lau.gif
Sounds nicer then what I call them which is 'no butts'.
I think that so many people call the EE's Ameraucanas, Americana's and Araucanas that the hatcheries are trying to cover all bases. They are not going to tell anyone that they don't have the true thing. A lot of people think the hatcheries have the better chickens and us back yarders have mutts.

It is far and away better than some of the other descriptions that I have read - certainly more imaginative. "Bunny Tails" !!!

I hope that no one minds me posting this here - it IS Araucana related in that we have enough trouble keeping these darned birds alive without the added stress of predators.......

Callie killed another Raccoon last night - by golly I love this dog! If I could take out a billboard praising the Anatolian Shepherd Flock Guardian dogs, I would. There's the nasty little wanna be assassin on the front right corner of the the photo there.

To help keep them busy I use fallen trees and logs. They love to peck them apart. Although mine love greens they are definitely more interested in bugs, they will scratch and peck every little branch or leaf to find what might be under it. My Ameraucans love the greens, they love bugs too, but go wild when they are out in the grass and weeds.

I hope that no one minds me posting this here - it IS Araucana related in that we have enough trouble keeping these darned birds alive without the added stress of predators.......

Callie killed another Raccoon last night - by golly I love this dog! If I could take out a billboard praising the Anatolian Shepherd Flock Guardian dogs, I would. There's the nasty little wanna be assassin on the front right corner of the the photo there.
yeah Callie! Raccoons are not a problem here, it is fox and chicken hawks. Both keep my poor dogs running. I know we have raccoons because other people complain, but so far I have not seen any. Maybe they are just sneaky. My mom had what we think is a fox take her huge orpinton roo in broad daylight. One minute he was there and the next just a trail of feathers. My other neighbors have almost no chickens left and just 2 months ago they had over 30 at one house and the other neighbor had 20. Now they are all down to just two or three each. Everyones chickens are locked up at night so it is happening during the day. We are suspecting a mommy fox has babies in the brush along the creek that borders all our properties.

My mom and I moved her chicken pen into her deer fenced yard. Within the deer fencing their pen is 6' tall welded wire and about 40 X 60. She is only going to let them into the deer fenced area when she is in the yard. She is attempting to treat train them all to come when she calls. She has a bunch of fat orpinton hens so shouldn't be a problem. LOL!

Lanae

Back
Top Bottom