Araucana thread anyone?

Oh that face!!!
love.gif

Just an update on my 3 smooth faced rumpless chicks. The striped one looks to be some sort of pattern but splash instead of black. One of the whites has a full tail coming in....but no tail bone. When we used to breed them in the past, we would get birds with 1 or 2 tail feathers but this chick has 6 coming in. It will be interesting to see how she turns out.

That is in fact a mottled chick, super jealous.

Wow, over 100 unread posts, I have been way too busy lately.
th.gif

Hey all, latest news here is that I've got some broody Araucanas, pullets from last fall's hatch of course, and Josephine's chick count went from 6 now to 4. One was eaten by one of the family's puppies (
barnie.gif
even got one of my fingers punctured trying to get the dead chick from the darn puppy's grasp ) and the other perished one rainy night.

Luckily all of the tufteds are still alive. Colors are now obviously a blue cuckoo, two blues, and a columbian-duckwing type.

I got 3 pullets this past weekend and 3 adult Araucana (BBR/BR) that I'm totally in love with. The chicks are incredibly quiet and calm-is that typical? The babies are nice and filled out and eat really well, just sooo quiet. I've had other "quiet" chicks (Cochins and Brahmas) but these guys take the cake as far as silence :) Always happy to see me and love being held, just soooo calm. I wondered if that's a breed trait?
Anyway, I got some eggs from Ray N Debi on this list (Hi Debi! I just found you here! This is Mitzi) and they're hatching right now. I'm so excited I can hardly contain myself :-D I've got 3 out and there's 3 more pipped so far. I couldn't see anything but darkness in the 8 eggs that went into lockdown so I really thought none were alive. With other eggs I've been able to see movement of some sort.So when they started pipping yesterday I was so thankful. Tomorrow is actually hatch day. 2 dark Blues so far and what's probably a Gold Duckwing (but I think Araucana people call it something else?) They're even hatching super quiet lol

I find my Araucanas to be most friendly chickens. They make different sounds than the other chickens. The volume is not is loud. My newest cockerel is very talkative though. He is always talking to me.
smile.png

Congrats on your hatch from RaynDebi. I have a BBR wild type, (I think) pullet from her. She is double tufted and has a small tail. She is just lovely.

I find my Araucanas to be most friendly chickens. They make different sounds than the other chickens. The volume is not is loud. My newest cockerel is very talkative though. He is always talking to me.
smile.png

Congrats on your hatch from RaynDebi. I have a BBR wild type, (I think) pullet from her. She is double tufted and has a small tail. She is just lovely.
I'm really kind of impressed with the hatching rate. 8 out of 16 went into lockdown (some weren't fertile, some early quitters, etc) and out of those 8 *all 8 have pipped, 4 hatched so far. The 1st pipper got a chunk out of his shell and died but the other 3 are all going at it. I had put 13 Bantam Ameraucana into lockdown last week and only 5 hatched so I really thought it was something I did wrong and none of the Araucana would hatch. 3 Blues plus the Duckwing so far! At least a couple looked double tufted and all are tiny no-butts. They're just adorable.

Back
Top Bottom