Arctic Blast Coming - Any Suggestions?

I covered most of the fence around the chicken run with a tarp to block the wind when they are outside. Hopefully it doesn't freak them out when they come outside tomorrow, but they'll get over it. The lack of light might make them eat and drink less, but if I decide to take it off then it will only be a 5 minute operation. We shall see how it goes.

Attachments

• 20230202_172659.jpg
    20230202_172659.jpg
    243.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 20230202_172714.jpg
    20230202_172714.jpg
    307.4 KB · Views: 2
it's -20c this morning and about 60% humidity so I went out early to check on the ladies before their door opened - very dry and they seem happy . I didn't add any heating last night, just gave them a bowl of food in their coop and added a lot more bedding, and covered up any areas that could be windy, but left good ventilation above their roost. This morning I put in a hot water bottle so they have a snuggle buddy once their pop door opens. How did your birdies do? Good news over here, hope the same for you!

Last edited:
With all of your worrying it sounds like you are new to raising chickens. They are quite hardy and a change of environment won't kill them as long as the new environment is comfortable and fulfills all of their needs.
Ha! Is it that obvious? I am, in fact, new to raising chickens. Plus, I tend to be a worrier.

I've lived in the northeast for going on 20 years (grew up in Florida), but I can't remember ever seeing it this cold. Luckily, it's only for a few days.

The reason I'm anxious about having the ladies in our garage is because our dogs access the backyard through the garage. We have three dogs, and though they have absolutely no interest in the chickens, they make the girls nervous.

Further, we had a fun debacle with the town we live in after they did an unannounced inspection while we were quarantining two of the four ladies in the garage. We technically break the law and risk them revoking our permit every time the chickens are outside the coop. It's comical. That said, I don't expect them to come out here on a Friday night/Saturday morning when it's zero degrees.

Here is my attempt...

Put 6 mil plastic sheeting up as a wind-break all around the run and a little higher in the corner where they sometimes roost outside.

I closed "vent flap" I put on to deflect too much wind from going directly into the coop, but air can still flow past it.

My radiant heat plate is now plugged in next to their roosting bars inside.

Their water is on a heating plate in a corner (protected by the plastic) and hadn't been frozen over when I checked a little while ago. I'll keep checking that today.

Put food for them in the coop and a cracked corn snack cake to peck at, so I hope they'll spend more time inside there today.

And as predicted, they are mad at me because they want to come out and can't see me walking around the coop because of the plastic, lol

Winter flap closed.jpg

Plastic wind break.jpg

Ha! Is it that obvious? I am, in fact, new to raising chickens. Plus, I tend to be a worrier.

I've lived in the northeast for going on 20 years (grew up in Florida), but I can't remember ever seeing it this cold. Luckily, it's only for a few days.

The reason I'm anxious about having the ladies in our garage is because our dogs access the backyard through the garage. We have three dogs, and though they have absolutely no interest in the chickens, they make the girls nervous.

Further, we had a fun debacle with the town we live in after they did an unannounced inspection while we were quarantining two of the four ladies in the garage. We technically break the law and risk them revoking our permit every time the chickens are outside the coop. It's comical. That said, I don't expect them to come out here on a Friday night/Saturday morning when it's zero degrees.
I'm not going to ask where in MA you are, but our State is idiotic about chickens (at least many of the towns are closer to Boston). I don't have a permit for mine, and they can kiss my clucker if they think I am getting one. I bribe my neighbors with eggs and none of them care that I have the girls back there. I got this breed because they are cold-hearty and quiet, and (knock on wood) have held the authorities at bay so far. It's none of their business what I do on my property. One of the reasons I push back is because they CAN do those inspections and tell you that your setup isn't adequate, etc...and take the birds. That would be a fight, let me tell you!

That said, it has gotten this cold up here before, but what's surprising is how fast the temps are dropping over such a short period of time, and how fast they'll return to above-normal temps in a day or so. It's that sudden shock that makes me worry about the girls...and all the animals out there.

I'm not going to ask where in MA you are, but our State is idiotic about chickens (at least many of the towns are closer to Boston). I don't have a permit for mine, and they can kiss my clucker if they think I am getting one. I bribe my neighbors with eggs and none of them care that I have the girls back there. I got this breed because they are cold-hearty and quiet, and (knock on wood) have held the authorities at bay so far. It's none of their business what I do on my property. One of the reasons I push back is because they CAN do those inspections and tell you that your setup isn't adequate, etc...and take the birds. That would be a fight, let me tell you!

That said, it has gotten this cold up here before, but what's surprising is how fast the temps are dropping over such a short period of time, and how fast they'll return to above-normal temps in a day or so. It's that sudden shock that makes me worry about the girls...and all the animals out there.
yes it's wild - so cold for two days and then above normal for the rest of the week. Unreal.

Mine are out in the run, even though I added food into their coop hoping they'd be cozier. At least there is sunshine! Going to get even colder tonight. :/
Yes, even when you would think they would be scared to death of the cold, they still usually want to go outside and **** around for a bit. They're funny like that. Although on days like this they willingly spend about half of their time inside the coop.

Last year when I began raising chickens I lived in Rhode Island on the URI college campus. I just paid month to month rent (not even a lease), at my new place I also rent and still don't own property.

In Rhode Island I also did not have a permit and couldn't get one because the zoning laws were top strict. So we were a shady flock with a rogue chicken coop. I also bribed my neighbors with eggs and that worked out wonderfully.

Now I live in Orange, Massachusetts. It's different than most of Massachusetts, it's a rural area near the border of New Hampshire and Vermont. It is a "right to farm" town meaning their is minimal restrictions on raising livestock or building barns or anything like that. Obviously you still technically need to obey state and federal laws, although nobody ever comes out here so as long as you don't cause tons of problems then you should be all good. Most houses are far apart from each other here.

Here is my attempt...

Put 6 mil plastic sheeting up as a wind-break all around the run and a little higher in the corner where they sometimes roost outside.

I closed "vent flap" I put on to deflect too much wind from going directly into the coop, but air can still flow past it.

My radiant heat plate is now plugged in next to their roosting bars inside.

Their water is on a heating plate in a corner (protected by the plastic) and hadn't been frozen over when I checked a little while ago. I'll keep checking that today.

Put food for them in the coop and a cracked corn snack cake to peck at, so I hope they'll spend more time inside there today.

And as predicted, they are mad at me because they want to come out and can't see me walking around the coop because of the plastic, lol

View attachment 3394291

View attachment 3394294
Yeah my chickens were freaked out by my tarp. I wanted something clear to let in more light but they seem to be doing just fine now.

Attachments

• 20230203_084531.jpg
    20230203_084531.jpg
    583.6 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom