Do I have adequate ventilation in my coop?

BoiseJoe

In the Brooder
Jan 30, 2023
I’m a new chicken dad. I built a coop that is 4’x8’ and is 6’ tall. I have 18 square feet of 1/2” screened openings at the top. I also have about 6 square feet of screened openings that can be opened for more airflow. The majority of the openings are 4’ off the ground to prevent drafts. The coop is 2’ off the ground so they have 8’x12’ for their run. They always have a covered space for shade or weather protection in addition to coop access. I have a wood bridge, and a plenty of roosts off the ground for them.

My question is, do I have enough ventilation for my 8 chickens? Where we live, we can have cold winters down to zero degrees and hot summers up to 95 degrees for a couple of weeks with occasional 100 degree days. I positioned my coop so it is sheltered on 1 side by a shed taller than it, and my fence behind it that is also sheltered by trees slightly.

Is there anything else I haven’t thought of? Should I keep food and water in the coop as well as outside? I know I’m babying them, but they are my feathered babies after all. Any advice would be great.

P. S. I will be painting the coop once I’m done adding the final touches to it.

Attachments

• BD7DE13B-9834-4B4D-9BBD-90A4E6877CAF.jpeg
    BD7DE13B-9834-4B4D-9BBD-90A4E6877CAF.jpeg
    567.5 KB · Views: 106
That's good ventilation and well placed. If it proves problematic in winter you can use air furnace filters to help buffer any draftiness, but the sides that are protected by other structures will likely be fine without any extra protection in most weather.

Food and water should go where it makes sense in your set up. For me, food is both inside the coop (dry feeder) as well as outside (fermented feed). Light rodent activity, so all feed bowls get picked up at night (dry feeder is stored in a metal trash can). Water is outside to ensure the coop stays dry, but I don't get much below freezing so climate protecting the waterer isn't an issue, though we still need to have a heated waterer.

That's good ventilation and well placed. If it proves problematic in winter you can use air furnace filters to help buffer any draftiness, but the sides that are protected by other structures will likely be fine without any extra protection in most weather.

Food and water should go where it makes sense in your set up. For me, food is both inside the coop (dry feeder) as well as outside (fermented feed). Light rodent activity, so all feed bowls get picked up at night (dry feeder is stored in a metal trash can). Water is outside to ensure the coop stays dry, but I don't get much below freezing so climate protecting the waterer isn't an issue, though we still need to have a heated waterer.
Thank you for the advice. Great tip about the furnace filters. That makes perfect sense. If needed, I will try that.

Great job.
Where to place water and food is a personal choice and there really is no wrong answer.
I keep my food hanging from a rope in the coop all yr. My water is in the run, until it gets cold, then it's in the coop on a base heater.

I’m a new chicken dad. I built a coop that is 4’x8’ and is 6’ tall. I have 18 square feet of 1/2” screened openings at the top. I also have about 6 square feet of screened openings that can be opened for more airflow. The majority of the openings are 4’ off the ground to prevent drafts. The coop is 2’ off the ground so they have 8’x12’ for their run. They always have a covered space for shade or weather protection in addition to coop access. I have a wood bridge, and a plenty of roosts off the ground for them.

My question is, do I have enough ventilation for my 8 chickens? Where we live, we can have cold winters down to zero degrees and hot summers up to 95 degrees for a couple of weeks with occasional 100 degree days. I positioned my coop so it is sheltered on 1 side by a shed taller than it, and my fence behind it that is also sheltered by trees slightly.

Is there anything else I haven’t thought of? Should I keep food and water in the coop as well as outside? I know I’m babying them, but they are my feathered babies after all. Any advice would be great.

P. S. I will be painting the coop once I’m done adding the final touches to it.
I love the way you have your coop and run …That looks like some happy hens 🐔🥚🐓

Back
Top Bottom