Are cats real predators are just PESTS

Has cat killed a chicken?

• Cat preyed upon and killed a chicken.

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Cat has frightened chickens into injuring themselves.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cat is just an unwelcome pest.

Votes: 2 50.0%

• Total voters
If you feed stray cats they keep coming back. Same with stray dogs. Just trap the darned things and have animal control or a shelter take them in. When my dad was a kid in the city of bridges, he had a lady down the street who had several cats. Many of them wandered the street. My dad would feed these tiny birds and enjoy watching them in his backyard, then the cats were either scaring them off or killing them. My dad was fed up with it and had to take care of one particular cat that would continually come back.
Couple days later the lady is walking up and down the street saying "Thomas, Thomas".
^^^ Why animals need to stay inside or on a leash. My dogs never leave the house unless on a leash or in a carrier. Except Bruno, I take him with me to the mailbox all the time without a leash.

Quote:
I disagree, we're having a problem with one at the moment, a feral, in the last 5 weeks it has taken 4 ccochin bantams and 1 orpington.

I did say hungry feral cats are dangerous to even full grown chickens.

I really hate cats. I find them to be nothing but pests who get in other people's yards. My chickens hate them and don't want them around. I've had a cat kill a beautiful four week old chick and have hated them ever since.
sad.png

Last edited:
Interesting thread! I have an indoor/outdoor cat who is a fabulous hunter. I get presents on a daily basis; gophers, mice, doves, geckos, fence lizards. That being said, he leaves the chickens alone, even the newly hatched ones in the house. The very first time he hunkered down and twitched at a chicken I gave him the stinkeye scolding and he has never gone after a chicken again. Pretty sure it's because, and ONLY because he recognizes that I am top cat in his universe.

As far as that goes, any other cat on my property is a predator. Hunting is what they are hardwired to do. Its their job, and a biological imperative. Yes, some cats are chicken loving muffins, mine is not. He doesn't eat them because I said no.

I pen my chickens.

Quote:
they do not have to be hungry to hunt my well fed domestic cats would kill chipmunks squirrels and rabbits daily they would bring me presents when I lived in northern VA ferals here that are not fed hunt constantly they kill all day long here I can show the home owner how to catch them and tell them what shelter to take them to before they changeed the law here regarding me trapping them I trapped a trailer park for the owner and filled one local shelter up I think that is what got the law changed most farmers I deal with that have poultry treat ferals just like coons or possum

Not everyone has chicken runs either.. I let my chickens freerange the front yard because making some sort of run the size of the frontyard would freak out the neighbors and the trees wouldn't be able to grow properly.

I just want to address the pen your chickens comment. Most of mine are penned but a few aren't. I still don't see why I have to cage my free rangers because someone can't keep their pet on their land. I sure as heck am not going to feed strays, my budget is outrageous without adding animals that don't even belong "wild"(strays). I love cats, I have 2 indoor cats. I know plenty of people who let them out just so they don't have to clean a litter box
roll.png
. I am not talking people with farms, the cats have a purpose outside there....just my 2cents
hu.gif

Eta- I also don't think anyone should get a cute itty betty kitty unless they can afford to spay/neuter
hide.gif

Last edited:
I had a cat kill two full grown new hampshire reds..These were big hens, cats don't just kill chicks or smaller/younger hens.While it may be true most cats don't kill hens, some certainly do.

Quote:
X-2 Some (not all) cat owners have the gall to think others should take extra effort to secure their livestock so that their cat can roam free. Sad thing is no amount of talking will change their minds often and they say 'Oh but my cat must be free to roam"

You can see some extreme and totally absurd examples of this by searching threads about cats at this forum, there are MANY.

That is nothing but irresponsible cat ownership and putting your pet in harms way.

They are treated as predators here....

I have had two chickens killed by a cat
There is a big tom cat that sometimes walks my fence looking at my chickens
dogs usually keep him away
however, he killed and ate a golden penciled hamburg in my yard
and chased and tore up a lavender orpington so badly that she died from the wounds
cats will definately kill chickens

Back
Top Bottom