Are cats real predators are just PESTS

Has cat killed a chicken?

• Cat preyed upon and killed a chicken.

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Cat has frightened chickens into injuring themselves.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cat is just an unwelcome pest.

Votes: 2 50.0%

• Total voters
cateatingchick.jpg

I had a dilemma with my own three cats going after my chickens... I had the cats first, adult adept hunters. Because of this, I didn't even let the chicks out in a covered run until they were six weeks old. Despite the chicks size, the cats were way too interested in them for my comfort.

So I tried an old trick from childhood when my mom and I raised chickens. We would 'chickenize' the problem pet. This works well with young dogs and cats. I was unsure if it would be successful on an accomplished bird catcher.

Here's the method: one person holds the chick steady and safely at nose height to the dog or cat. Another person draws the pet up close enough to smell the chick while hanging on tightly to control the dog or cat. The INSTANT the pet smells the chick BELLOW, "BAD DOG-BAD DOG-BAD DOG!!" LOUDLY and continously and sharply rapp it on the nose or top of the head. Then be quiet and back off with the pet. Do not make any more noise. Wait a few moments for the encounter to settle into the pet's mind, then repeat. Twice is usually enough.

You are not trying to injure the pet, so the head whacks are just raps to startle them. Hopefully the pet concludes that little chick is a dangerous creature, indeed.

Test the pet after treatment to see if they got the message by approaching with the chick. A convinced pet will avert their face, duck, or back away. If they choose to be interested instead, reinforce the lesson by repeating, "BAD DOG!"

A few pets are more stubborn or stupid and require repeat 'treatments'. If your dog has killed a chicken, all bets are off. It might still work if the animal is young enough. This is why I was so worried about my cats. The biggest male has caught pigeons in the barn and grown rabbits from the fields. But the treatment worked!

we have many resident cats on our farm-all rescued hardened ferral or semi ferral,and one that had come from a housed background so she thinks she is better than the rest.
lol.png

we never ever have problems with any of the cats as regards to the chickens,what is rather funny though is our baby miniature donkeys run around in a playful manner after the cats and lottie [thats the kitteh who came from a housed background] purposely attempts to tease them by getting them to follow her then jumps up just high enough so they cant reach her.
tongue.png

the ferrals have no need to even think of taking on a chicken when we have that much fresh cat food lying around,the other day a wild dove was found by one of the volunteers on the farm; it was injured on the ground and had been there for a while,nothing to do with the cats who had no interest-we found out it has PMV and is now hopefuly on the mend.

the cats at mums house-biscuit,goldie and tom tom are all ex strays or pure ferrals and none of them woud even touch the pet rats we used to have,must be a lazy gene in british cats as have never experienced or heard of cat on chicken attacks.

have got a number of farm owning relatives in various parts of ireland and new zealand who have only ever had problems with foxes and stray dogs-either dumped or neighbours ones left to wander,they have gotten sheep and chickens.

Last edited:
In Australia, a law has been passed that all domestic cats are to be kept inside or confined at night.
This is mainly because the cats prey on the native species (animals) & some are on the endangered list.
But, I think its a good idea. Australia is trying to promote responsible animal ownership. Too many
backyard deaths to toddlers due to silly mistakes re dog ownership.

Anyway, thats whats going on downunder
smile.png

Yep, had a young tom sneak off LOADS of my chicks, some very valuable ones too, . . . . He had a bullet to his head later on.
smile.png

Quote:
As far as I know that is not a nationwide law chic-a-deee, rather a council regulation in only some areas......... I know it is not a regulation in my area (Brisbane), I see HEAPS of cats out and about after dark
hmm.png
and the council has told me that there are no cat curfews at present.

I found a young kitten watching the chickens through the fence this morning, but I gave it a good scare so hopefully it will not come back. My own cat is TERRORFIED of the chickens aften one pecked her a few weeks ago. (She also lets magpies eat her dinner and annoy her). So I suppose some cats are more of a risk than others!

A stray wondered around last month and killed my silkie partridge one night I couldn't get them all put away... a few nights later it returned and it met its demise to my ar15.. cats, hawks and foxes are my enemies..

Back
Top Bottom