Are grass clippings bad for your chickens?

Mower collection doesn't matter. As long as the clippings are a reasonable length, they'll be fine. Mowers with collection bags make it easier - in that you don't have to physically rake it up for them...

Mower collection doesn't matter.  As long as the clippings are a reasonable length, they'll be fine.  Mowers with collection bags make it easier - in that you don't have to physically rake it up for them...

Thanks. I'll make sure and chop it up the best I can.

I'm new to backyard chickens and appreciate the tons of information. I have 10 teenagers and have put sand in the chicken run. However, I was interest in putting fresh grass clippings in the run area also. I don't use weed and feed on the grass, and I cut my front lawn with an electric mower. So think I'm adding a bag of grass clippings and see how my chickens react. For years I put grass clippings in the compost pile, and that was when using gas and oil in the mower. Hope it never affected the compost we used in our garden, lol. However, thanks again for the info, and I'll post how my chickens liked the grass.

Last edited:
While I am basically just echoing what others have said, I will share my experience.

For over 3 years I have emptied the mower catcher into the run for the girls. Not only do they love it, as lazy gardener has mentioned above, it is an important part of the deep litter method I use in the run.

However, I did learn the hard way [impacted crop] that the clippings must not be too long.
Just wondering how you handled the impacted crop? I gave my girls some mixed length grass clippings and am v worried now about this! They ate them all yesterday and today so I am not sure yet if there’s a problem but want to be prepared!

Thanks very much for the replies! I am just such a newbie I didn't know what a full crop looks like :eek: I'm still at the stage when all I do is Google "what is wrong with my chicken"! That's one of the reasons I joined the forum - it's where all the most helpful answers were!

Is your mower leaking gas and oil? They love grass clippings. My birds free range and eat grass daily.

Word of caution: in early spring during 1st green up, chickens can stuff themselves with fresh green grass and develop crop issues as a result.

Thanks very much for the replies! I am just such a newbie I didn't know what a full crop looks like :eek: I'm still at the stage when all I do is Google "what is wrong with my chicken"! That's one of the reasons I joined the forum - it's where all the most helpful answers were!
The best advice I can offer is to remember that we are still just a filtered google search for what's wrong with your chicken. Everyone here tries their best to pull from their experiences and offer good advice, but there are many many things that can happen to a chicken. Unfortunately, many issues have similar symptoms.

Suggestions and opinions are usually not a good substitute for a professional putting their hands on your bird and determining an actual cause for the issue. I know cost is a huge consideration so please, continue to ask us anything and everything but take it all with a grain of salt. Always keep professional assistance and euthanasia as possible outcomes. Should the worst happen, it will be prudent to have a necropsy performed by a veterinary pathologist to know what actually killed the bird.

Back
Top Bottom