Are grass clippings bad for your chickens?

Just wondering how you handled the impacted crop? I gave my girls some mixed length grass clippings and am v worried now about this! They ate them all yesterday and today so I am not sure yet if there’s a problem but want to be prepared!
Keep an eye on the crop, should be near empty first thing in the morning before eating or drinking. 'Easy' way to check that is crate them at night, with no feed or water.
Crop will feel full at night and empty in the morning.

Best to put crate right in coop or run so bird is still 'with' the flock.
I like to use a fold-able wire dog crate (24"L x 18"W x 21"H) with smaller mesh(1x2) on bottom of crate under tray.
Then you can put tray underneath crate to better observe droppings without it being stepped in. If smaller mesh is carefully installed, tray can still be used inside crate.

Here's an overview about crop issues:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

This is much more detailed:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...ntion-and-treatments-of-crop-disorders.67194/

Sounds like a few people here have actually had issues with impacted crop from clippings?

Interesting to hear...I was starting to wonder if that was one of those “chicken issues” that has never actually happened to anyone.

Guess it’s a good motivator to cut the lawn more often (or at least run over the clipping twice before picking them up).

I’m not mowing yet, but my flock did get two feed sacks of clover that my son picked at my parents house.

I
Sounds like a few people here have actually had issues with impacted crop from clippings?

Interesting to hear...I was starting to wonder if that was one of those “chicken issues” that has never actually happened to anyone.

Guess it’s a good motivator to cut the lawn more often (or at least run over the clipping twice before picking them up).

I’m not mowing yet, but my flock did get two feed sacks of clover that my son picked at my parents house.
Had to euthanize a hen this spring with am impacted crop. Necropsy revealed her crop was stuffed full of fresh green grass. 1st ever issue but it is a real possibility

I add water to grass clippings and keep it in plastic torte to prevent chicken from scratching and to keep it last longer (5-7 days).

Hi,
This is my first post. I have had chickens for one year now and have used BYC as a great reference during these early days.

I have just 3 Brahma hens and a cock named Basil. They live in a run the whole time as I cannot let them free range. They have scratched up all the Grass that was growing there and I was wondering about putting down the Grass clippings in the run as ground cover. I suppose I would get about three mower bags each time I mow, would this be too much to put in in one go?

Any suggestions for ground cover would be great. I don't like the idea of gravel or sand :)

My girls love when I dump the mower bags in their run. I have been doing it for 3 years and never a problem but I don't use chemicals either I just dump it in piles and let the scratch their way threw it

This is such a great idea and exactly the kind of information I was looking for! Thank you! My run is just starting to turn to muck but this week I will mow and put the grass clippings in.

So,if I understand correctly, it is fine to feed clippings from a mower with mulching and bagging capabilities, but not clippings that are just thrown out a side discharge mower. Is this the consensus? Thanks

Back
Top Bottom