Are hawks a problem with free range chickens?

Yes, hawks are an occasional threat. I have at least one attack per year. A good rooster will protect the flock and the alpha hen might fight as well depending on the character of both. It's not full proof of course, but it hasn't stopped me from free ranging. Nothing beats free ranging imho, both for the happiness of the chickens and the quality of the eggs. The risk is worth it, for me at least.

Yes, hawks are an occasional threat. I have at least one attack per year. A good rooster will protect the flock and the alpha hen might fight as well depending on the character of both. It's not full proof of course, but it hasn't stopped me from free ranging. Nothing beats free ranging imho, both for the happiness of the chickens and the quality of the eggs. The risk is worth it, for me at least.
yah my chickens free range during the day but they stay in the coop at night but ive never had a problem with hawks only loss one hen over 2 yrs

Hawk attacks are one of the most common chicken predators that kill chickens. Because they are protected you can’t kill them. They are a problem that you really can’t solve or get rid of.
But you can pervent them from setting up camp around your chickens. Reflective tape and shinny pie tines hanging from fence posts and tree branches are good deterents.

Hawk attacks are one of the most common chicken predators that kill chickens. Because they are protected you can’t kill them. They are a problem that you really can’t solve or get rid of.
But you can pervent them from setting up camp around your chickens. Reflective tape and shinny pie tines hanging from fence posts and tree branches are good deterents.
yah we have reflective tape it works great

Back
Top Bottom