Are hawks a problem with free range chickens?

Yes, hawk attacks are a problem for free range chickens. We usually have several attacks a year but luckily haven’t lost any hens. Last attack was 2 days ago - I suspect our cockerel chased the hawk away. The hawks will go for the hen’s eyes. You can see how much damage it did to Cleo’s (Egyptian fayoumi) left side versus her right. She was acting normal when I saw the damage so I knew her eye was ok she’s inside for a couple of days anyways, with much complaining and some biting. Feisty pullet!
IMG_2671.jpeg
IMG_2672.jpeg

Yes, hawk attacks are a problem for free range chickens. We usually have several attacks a year but luckily haven’t lost any hens. Last attack was 2 days ago - I suspect our cockerel chased the hawk away. The hawks will go for the hen’s eyes. You can see how much damage it did to Cleo’s (Egyptian fayoumi) left side versus her right. She was acting normal when I saw the damage so I knew her eye was ok she’s inside for a couple of days anyways, with much complaining and some biting. Feisty pullet!View attachment 3728505View attachment 3728506
That is what I thought and hawks would be a problem ill let her know.

That is what I thought and hawks would be a problem ill let her know.
Y you our friend could search this forum for “hawk deterrent”. My property is heavily wooded; lots of undergrowth to hide in. I also added a rooster to my flock this year - I suspect he chased the hawk off. Maybe the jerk won’t be going to freezer camp after all. I haven’t heard of anyone doing this, but I’ve thought about putting out corn cobs to entice the crows to spend more time in our yard. Nothing is 100% though.

Had a Coopers Hawk try to take a BAR RK years back. Relatively small hawk after a big bird. Turned into a bad deal for the hawk as it crashed into a stump and died. Picking it up there was only the weight of feathers. I was a mere 10' from the hen. I'm thinking an act of opportunity and desperation. I still free range in spite of various hawks and even Eagles.

Y you our friend could search this forum for “hawk deterrent”. My property is heavily wooded; lots of undergrowth to hide in. I also added a rooster to my flock this year - I suspect he chased the hawk off. Maybe the jerk won’t be going to freezer camp after all. I haven’t heard of anyone doing this, but I’ve thought about putting out corn cobs to entice the crows to spend more time in our yard. Nothing is 100% though.
I feed the crows here and hawks still come around, crows watch for me every morning to see if I have something for them.

Hawks are the only predator that have gone after my girls, I only free range when I’m home and can keep an eye/ear on them. The hawks will fly in right over my (useless) dogs and torment my hens even when they’re secured in their run.
You’ve got to admire a hawk that lands on an 7-8lb BO, thinking it can fly off with her 😮

Had a Cooper’s hawk attack one of my small Legbars a week ago. She gave fight and my lead hen joined in attacking the hawk.
I was only 15’ away and hear the ruckus and came running.
The hawk left without dinner and I think everyone is OK.
Where were the crows when I need them? I need to start feeding them!

Back
Top Bottom