Are My Chickens Molting?

farmgirl7

Songster
7 Years
Feb 28, 2014
Hanging into Texas
There are no bare necks or other bare spots, just feathers in the coop and run. I can't even tell who is losing the feathers. Is there a pattern most of them follow? The feathers are all different colors and sizes. Some look like butt feathers and others like tail or wing feathers. If is is a molt, how long will it last? Will they get ugly looking or might they just gradually lose and grow back? I have brown leg horns. They are almost 10 months and the 6 are laying 1 to 4 eggs per day.

It's unlikely that they are going through a real molt at their age. It may be just a mini-molt. No, they shouldn't get real ugly with major feather loss. That comes next fall.

Had a 9 month old go into partial molt a couple months ago, stopped laying was the first sign...then saw alot of feathers, finally her tail was gone...it was then I knew for sure.

She got pretty scraggly looking here and there, especially around her neck, but tail was soon grown back and now I'm just waiting for those eggs...hope she gets it on soon, want to hatch some of her eggs end of next month.

Extra animal protein always helps with feather regrowth.

I've started to up their higher protein snacks. They seem to be losing tail feathers, some wing feathers and today, butt feathers are really looking tattered. The coop is sure a mess!

Back
Top Bottom