are my cornish crosses sick? safe to eat?

hey, I'm on week 4 of with my first batch of CX's. We have 20 total. Mine have big red bums as well, is that not normal :/ I feed them 3 lbs of food in the am and 3 lbs at about 3pm ( i have 3- 1lb feeders) They finish it all within about an hour and graze on weeds & bugs until I refill. They did get cold at about a week old, we had a cold snap and I forgot a window open..
Do they look normal? you can see the big red butt on the left in the middle picture.

They look normal to me. At that age they always look like they have outgrown their feathers. Be prepared to up that feed amount as they grow. According to my chart, they should be eating .324 pounds per day per bird at 4 weeks. That will increase to .5 pounds per day per bird at 8 weeks.

ok good... They just look so ugly to me. I have the chart that shows what they should be eating each week, I'm pretty close I think, I feel like I'm starving them though, by the way they attack when they see me with food! I started a batch of FF yesterday, so they will start getting that tomorrow, should they get the same amount of that as dry?
They sneeze quite a bit in the mornings too, no gunk or dripping anything, just little sneezes, and only in the morning, their poop is pretty solid too, not the brown goo everyone talks about... I'm not sure if that's typical or not.

I have also lost 2 to what I believe was a heart attack. Gasping for air, that one we had to put down and found the other one 2 days later dead. All of them have sparse feathers. We now are down to 23 and they seem to be getting around OK. I believe we have 2 weeks left and then we take them to the butcher. I felt maybe I was doing something wrong but I Chang the hay 2 times a day. They are off their food at 7pm every night and back on at 7am. I keep the water full. Crossing my fingers they all make it. Thanks for your post as now I see others seeing the same thing.

Back
Top Bottom