Are my hens molting or is it cannabilism?

smoneal

In the Brooder
May 25, 2015
Central Missouri
I just got my flock of 13 sexlink hens a little over a month ago. I still have no eggs. They are 1-1 1/2 years old. Majority of the flock is missing a substantial amount of feathers. I have read books and feel like I am doing everything right for them to thrive but no eggs. At first I thought I was dealing with cannabilism but now I wonder. I'm in central Missouri and our weather has been cooler than usual for this time of year. I have noticed feathers around the coop but I don't know what else to look for with molting.

Howdy smoneal and Welcome to BYC

junebuggena has asked good questions and if they do not have enough room or are bored, they will resort to pecking at each other and pulling feathers.

They could be moulting which would explain the no eggs or the no eggs could be related to them still settling into their new home or a health issue.

If they are moulting you should see ‘pin-feathers’ coming through.

One of my gals, Dusty, went through a hard moult just recently and these photos show the pin-feathers.

If you could get a picture of the area of feather loss, we may be able to see if it is a moult or other issue.

Oh my yes they have plenty of room! We call it the chicken condo. Lol! It's about 315 square feet and there is a roost for each of them. they free range all day and love it! When I open the door they come barreling out!

Here are 2 of them. I notice it mainly on their necks but also on the wings. They are such a good bird! They follow me and the kids around all the time and seem very comfortable in their new home. I notice some pecking at each other but not a lot really.

Hey smoneal

Moulting is reported to usually start around the head and neck region [my gals did not get that memo
wink.png
].

I can see pin feathers in your picture and the skin looks nice and healthy.

In my humble opinion, you gals are moulting and this would also explain the lack of eggs.

Keep a close eye on them and feed them a diet with extra protein during the moult.

It can depend on the degree of moult, light or hard; some might be 2-3 months and others as long as 4-6 months. 18 months old is the average age I believe so your gals would be just about the right time.

Dusty stopped laying and started her hard moult at the beginning of February (12th) this year and finally returned to laying 3 months later, pretty much exactly to date (13th May).

Thanks for that info. Not real encouraging though! Just got this flock and it seems none of them want to lay. I thought a month was long enough for the stress to reduce and they seem very settled. Guess I keep waiting!

I had some hens given to us once, and it took them two or three months to settle and start laying.

Back
Top Bottom