Are these wheaten marans & what gender are they?

SpringhouseFarm

Chirping
Feb 25, 2023
Berks county, PA
I got these unsexed chocolate eggers from a hatchery. They're 11 days old & I'm trying to figure out their gender. I wasn't sure of their breed at first either but someone I talked to said they look like wheaten marans, although their bodies are more caramel colored than most the yellow wheaten marans chicks I saw in pictures online, so could they be something else or mixed? Here's my guesses to gender if anyone wants to give any input! Although as I'm editing this post to add a group photo I'm wondering if I unfortunately have all males but 3 are just lighter:/

Chick 1- male? Has fluffy nub (no tail feathers), no shoulder feathers yet & it's wings are shorter, rounder shaped & darker/have more black than the other 3

Chicks 2, 3 & 4- Females or just lighter colored males? Have tail feathers, shoulder feathers & wings are longer, shaped pointier & lighter colored/less black. My camera doesn't take the best photos but in person these 3 are lighter colored & do have short tail feathers which is hard to see in the photos.

Chick 1
20230401_114826.jpg
20230401_114810.jpg

Chick 2
20230401_114432.jpg
20230401_114609.jpg

Chick 3 (only one that has feathered legs)
20230401_114548.jpg
20230401_114505.jpg

Chick 4
20230401_114724.jpg
20230401_114717.jpg

Group photos (top right is chick 1 in both)
20230401_124156.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited:
Too early for either sex of breed, try again in 6 weeks.
That gives me some hope lol I have a total of 9 chicks, the other 5 are black copper marans, & 2 of those are much more feathered out than any of them. Those two have wings that are to their tails and have inch long tail feathers already & I was hoping I didn't end up with only 2 females out of the 9 of them!

That gives me some hope lol I have a total of 9 chicks, the other 5 are black copper marans, & 2 of those are much more feathered out than any of them. Those two have wings that are to their tails and have inch long tail feathers already & I was hoping I didn't end up with only 2 females out of the 9 of them!
Wing and tail sexing is a wives tale, its best to wait.

I had a black copper marans that I hatched eggs from that I thought for sure was a boy had planned to sell it was even getting ready to have a buyer only to find out it was a girl who laid beautiful eggs. We just can’t rush things no matter how hard we try.

I just got hatchery quality Fr. Wheaten Marans pullets and 1. Two are yellow / white and Two are more caramel colored 2. I don't think any of them have leg feathers. :( I was hoping they might still come in as they mature.

Looking forward to seeing more updates on your chicks!
20230425_163240.jpg

I just got hatchery quality Fr. Wheaten Marans pullets and 1. Two are yellow / white and Two are more caramel colored 2. I don't think any of them have leg feathers. :( I was hoping they might still come in as they mature.

Looking forward to seeing more updates on your chicks!View attachment 3482215
Sadly none are Wheaten Marans. The ones with white wings are either Starlight Green Eggers or Red Sexlinks. The other is likely a Production Red or perhaps a Cinnamon Queen :(

Sadly none are Wheaten Marans. The ones with white wings are either Starlight Green Eggers or Red Sexlinks. The other is likely a Production Red or perhaps a Cinnamon Queen :(
They were in a bin marked assorted Marans and Starlight Green Eggers. My husband told him to pull the black chicks for me (thinking obvious Marans) but he literally insisted that the black ones were the starlight green eggers and the blonde ones were Marans.

They were in a bin marked assorted Marans and Starlight Green Eggers. My husband told him to pull the black chicks for me (thinking obvious Marans) but he literally insisted that the black ones were the starlight green eggers and the blonde ones were Marans.
They're all Starlight Green Eggers then sadly :( Their variety is wrong and they have yellow skin :(

Back
Top Bottom