Are your dogs microchipped?

gritsar

Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!
14 Years
Nov 9, 2007
SW Arkansas
DH wants to get the puppy microchipped. I'm not sure how much good it would do around here, since the local animal shelter doesn't have a scanner.
It would be proof of ownership if he's ever stolen, correct?

I don't know how good it is. Our one dog is chipped but it was done for free when he got his attitude adjusted. Our shelters have scanners but it seems they don't like to use them. They would rather sell the animal off than to return it to it's rightful owner.

Yeah, I'm wondering how much good it would do around here. Except as I said, for proof of ownership. The microchip number can be registered with the AKC, so....

Ours where chipped when we lived in Georgia ( close to Atlanta where they did scan ) but since we moved to Alabama I have yet to see a scanner.

Just on the off chance that someone will find us, I had both dogs chipped. But to me, the biggest thing is to make sure no one can get to them and they can't get out.

Belt AND suspenders!
big_smile.png

My boys are chipped as was my wolf...when he was injured, the vet scanned it and called me. Plus I have a bar code paper for proof of ownership. I think it is worth it.

Quote:
Yeah, while DH is talking about microchipping I'm thinking I never intend to let this dog out of my sight! Still, things happen that we would never dream of.
Guess Jax will be getting an appt. at the vet for his chip.

It's such good permanent proof of ownership. Do it, IMO. When you do it, call the Avid company and tell them your shelter doesn't have a scanner. I believe they will provide them one. (I think) Anyway most good vets scan if someone comes in with a suspicious "new" animal or of course if there is some dispute.

My one dog had been chipped when I rescued him. We tracked down two owners within his first year, it took a little time to get him transfered to me. I wanted to get shot records. I never did get them. He has a tag with my phone number. So far that is the only thing that I have been involved in. I live in the Boonies also and haven't seen a scanner at my vets.

I'm not sure about your area but in ours, our shelters have/use them as well as vet offices. I can't see why any shelter would be against using it as most are overcrowded as it is. Scanning would take a second to do and they could out find out where the animal came from provided it was chipped versus having to spend money on food/meds/vet visits and additional time on trying to get it adopted out.

Back
Top Bottom