Are your dogs microchipped?

my dogs, my cat and my sisters dogs, cats and parrot too!
She has bred 2 litters of mastiffs and the pups are chipped before they leave.
All the health testing is associated with the chip too!~hips,patellas,vwd,pra,cystanuria

Last edited:
Yes, chip that baby! As an Animal Control Officer, I highly reccommend it! There are several microchip companies available, Avid, Homeagain, 24 petwatch. Make sure you register the chip number with your information with the company, and update it anytime it changes. The shelter where I work uses Avid. Make sure after you chip to keep the area dry and not to pet/brush the area for at least 24 hours. Also, make sure he is dry when her gets it. Getting water in the hole can cause infection, and too mush petting/brushing can cause the chip to work its way out before the hole closes. In dogs and cats, it is usually given between the shoulderblades. I have scanned dogs where the chip has migrated, under the neck, down the side of the body, etc. Where I work, we always make sure to run the scanner over the whole body (or as much of it as possible if the dog is trying to eat us!). I believe your local shelter can request a scanner from Avid (the free scanners are not the greatest, but better than nothing). If you have any questions about microchipping, feel free to ask me, I have chipped 100's of dogs and cats
smile.png

Mine are along with everything else I have dogs, alpacas, horses everything. It also helped for my insurance I have on my critters. I think its crazy how many people do not go and fill in all the info when they do go and get them chipped or dont update it.

If you are talking about your handsome little GSD, Jax. Do it.

I'd have him tattooed or microchipped, microchip is probably better. If he were to ever get "out" and someone saw him, I've known many a GSDs that were "picked up off the side of the road" and while not stolen, they weren't returned either.

YES and YES again! A few years back, I got hurt at an out-of-state horse show. My 2 Dobies were in my horsetrailer. I got carted off, unconscious, to the hospital. The arena people knew the horse was mine because I'd been on him at the time. But they had no idea about the dogs. Somebody kindly put my horse in a stall but the dogs got left in the trailer until a night watchman saw the trailer after the show and opened it to check it out. Out jumped my dogs. Long story but they wound up in county lockup as dangerous dogs. The deputy there checked for microchips and that is how my family found out something had happened to me! They started calling hospitals and finally located me--still unconscious--and came to rescue my dogs, collect my horse, and sit in the waiting room to wait for me to wake up. Which I did eventually.

But we have microchipped every dog and every horse ever since then. Hopefully we will never need to use them but at least they are there if we need them.

Rusty

Nothing leaves here without a microchip with MY information on it. If new owners want a chip with their info on it, they can have a new one inserted, or they can add their information as secondary to mine that is already on the chip.

This is legal permanent ID as far as the AKC is concerned, and also for all health testing such as OFA, CERF, etc.

Is is proof if I ever need it that the puppy is the same dog as identified by the AKC number and paperwork.

Shelters/rescues who do not scan chips are in the minority. This is my personal insurance that if a dog I bred EVER ends up in a shelter or a rescue, that I as the breeder will be notified so that I can take responsibility for the dog.

I would say ABSOLUTELY YES, chip your dog!

all of mine are chipped...I have bought the Homeagain chips from Jeffers and chipped my own of late...I have seen it done so often I can do it myself...the chips are 14.95 or something like that and the vet charges 37...I also have my own scanner and scan them periodically...never had a chip migrate and I have been doing this for many years now...I strongly suggest chipping...several dogs I have known of have been recovered via chips...

Back
Top Bottom