Arizona Chickens

Soooooo excited
D.gif
I just got my first egg today. As soon as the others in that paddock lay I will change them from grower finisher feed to layer feed.

I have an Olive Egger cockerel. He's EE and Golden Cuckoo Marans, 4 months old, just started crowing, is developing the feather color of a Golden Cuckoo, has a pea comb, featherless shanks.

How much are you asking for him?
i dont know yet because they should be show quality but some of his roos turn out to be an unrecognized color so some would consider those easter eggers but i will be breeding for that color in the future, its my project... but there is no way to tell the difference between the two colors at hatch, i will be asking at least $10 because of the chance for show quality and the fact that i will be vent sexing them (i personally like the unrecognized color better than wheaten, it is black breasted red)

I love the black breasted red color, I'll ask my friend if he wants to wait that long for a roo

I've heard lots of opinions. Docile personality, egg laying, meat. It really depends. I've been told orpingtons, australorps, and barred rocks have good personalities. My EEs are friendlier than my orpingtons.

My EE and barred rocks are the friendliest. I have 2 buff orpingtons and 2 australorps...all four raised together...and they are the least friendly and most flighty of my 9 birds. I think it's more that I've had little interaction with them and they were raised by a broody hen, not me. The australorps just started laying a few weeks ago, and so far, they've been very consistent layers.

Those golden cuckoo marans chicks are gorgeous!

Okay, round 3 of worming is over. I did 2 rounds of Valbazen, and one round of Zimecterin Gold. I don't actually know if the 3rd dose was necessary, but I did it anyway. I'll probably start eating eggs in a week, rather than 2 weeks recommended wait. I'm not too worried about the super low dose of pesticides that may or may not show up in the eggs after a week. I probably get heavier doses in my regular food stuff.

Any one a ground mesa AZ like to trade the chicks, I have 4 Barred Rock about 12 weeks old, very healthy I like to have difference breed.
What breed best for laying egg about 280 to 300 per year?

I'm pretty sure my Orpingtons are not a good strain. They are like bad hatchery stock lol. My rooster is super docile. I can pick him up and drag him around with me and he doesn't even struggle. (I'm still the boss rooster at the moment lol) The girls on the other hand, squawk, put out their hackles, and are over all just have bad attitudes. They don't look bad though, nice wide tails and the rooster is large. They aren't even two toned like I've seen some of them. Pretty much a good overall gold color. The buff Orpingtons I got from Welp hatchery were super sweet. Surprisingly, the sweetest, friendliest chickens that I have are my slow white broiler hens. I think the others will mellow out a bit once they hit maturity.

Back
Top Bottom