Arizona Chickens

Just in case you need the link.. We do fermented feed with their feed.. what breed of chickens do you have?
http://phoenixorganicfeed.us9.list-...4e7ff6bc0d77160c51&id=ae7354a991&e=1d7a6b0788

Thanks for the info!

We've got a mixed flock, ameracauna, barred rock, black copper marans, white leghorn, splash silkies and most recently a couple backyard mutt chicks from my daughters school. They have some resident chickens that hatched about 30 chicks a month ago and were giving them away so we had to take a couple.

I recently read about a good chicken treat... freezing corn in ice inside a bundt cake pan. The chickens peck at the ice to get the corn and it cools them down. Seeing as we're about to hit our first 90 degree day here, I was thinking of trying it. Anyone else ever tried it?

Mainly for eggs and meat. Both are delish. The eggs are a significant part of my DH's diet since he has stomach problems and can't eat many foods.

About a week's worth of quail eggs

Great fried on a salad, cute deviled eggs or just hard boiled to pop into your mouth.

They are quick to process, especially skinned.

Four on a plate, two marinated/braised, two bacon wraped/glazed. My brother-in-law considers it an insult if we prepare quail meat and don't invite him for dinner!
roll.png

OMG! I want to come to your house for dinner! LOL!
bow.gif

I recently read about a good chicken treat... freezing corn in ice inside a bundt cake pan. The chickens peck at the ice to get the corn and it cools them down. Seeing as we're about to hit our first 90 degree day here, I was thinking of trying it. Anyone else ever tried it?
I haven't tried it but if I did, I would use berries or grapes. I've read that they shouldn't eat too much corn in the summer.

Okay, that's it. I am going to raise quail! At this point, the only thing I will need to buy is more hardware cloth.

My biggest question--if I want a sustaining flock (covey?) of quail (I will use them for meat and eggs), will I need an incubator? The broodiness has been breed out of them, if I recall correctly?
I'm just busy (okay, lazy) enough that I don't really want to set eggs and raise chicks on a constant basis.

In other news, I did find some CX chicks at the feedstore right after I posted that I couldn't order any until it was too hot. So I have 6 meat babies and they are doing so well--only 6 chicks is so relaxing compared to my regular orders of 10-12 CX with 4-6 extras that are usually sent. I'm going back this weekend to see if the feedstore has more--the CX usually don't sell well there and I've gotten almost full grown meat birds for under $5, with very little work, cleanup, and feed costs on my part!

Last edited:

I've never used corn but what I've always done is freeze the fruit that's going bad and give that to them, be warned if you use watermelon, your white chickens will look like they just came out of a bloody battle lol

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom