Arizona Chickens

Hope you are able to post photos??

Yes! Of course! This is cluckers, my black sex link:

And Pepper, my amerecauna:

These are old pics of them around 2 weeks. They're about 4 weeks old now and getting big and plump. Pepper is a bit bigger than Clucks, is this normal? Is it due to their breed? Are amerecauna's usually bigger?

Clucks is a lot more friendly than Pepper. Pepper is friendly but flighty compared to Clucks. But they both seem like best friends.

Yes! Of course! This is cluckers, my black sex link:

And Pepper, my amerecauna:

These are old pics of them around 2 weeks. They're about 4 weeks old now and getting big and plump. Pepper is a bit bigger than Clucks, is this normal? Is it due to their breed? Are amerecauna's usually bigger?

Clucks is a lot more friendly than Pepper. Pepper is friendly but flighty compared to Clucks. But they both seem like best friends.

Pepper is not an Ameraucana, that chick is an easter-egger. They can vary in size since they are just a mixed breed.

Pepper is not an Ameraucana, that chick is an easter-egger. They can vary in size since they are just a mixed breed.

I bought them from a feed store where they were all labeled and marked. It said Amerecauna. I received the black sex link at the same store as well and was marked black sex link, so IDK.

I bought them from a feed store where they were all labeled and marked. It said Amerecauna. I received the black sex link at the same store as well and was marked black sex link, so IDK.

It pretty common for Easter Eggers to be mislabeled as Ameraucana. I got my EE's they kept calling them Ameraucana's. Ameraucana's are a true breed where as EE's are a mix that lays green/blue eggs.

It pretty common for Easter Eggers to be mislabeled as Ameraucana. I got my EE's they kept calling them Ameraucana's. Ameraucana's are a true breed where as EE's are a mix that lays green/blue eggs.

Exactly right. The hatchery catalogs mislabel them, and the feed stores, that get their chicks from the hatcheries, just follow suit, adding to the confusion. True Ameraucanas will have slate colored legs, yours, @Chickenluvluvs , is yellow. The only true variety of Ameraucana that has the strips down the back as a chick is the Silver, and they are very rare.
That doesn't mean that your chick won't be a wonderful pet and layer, just that it is not a pure Ameraucana Poultry Association recognized breed like the Ameraucana is.

Exactly right. The hatchery catalogs mislabel them, and the feed stores, that get their chicks from the hatcheries, just follow suit, adding to the confusion. True Ameraucanas will have slate colored legs, yours, @Chickenluvluvs , is yellow. The only true variety of Ameraucana that has the strips down the back as a chick is the Silver, and they are very rare.
That doesn't mean that your chick won't be a wonderful pet and layer, just that it is not a pure Ameraucana Poultry Association recognized breed like the Ameraucana is.

I knew Ameraucana's and EE's were commonly mistaken for one another. I also knew the difference between colored eggs that they both produced. Ameraucana's produce blue eggs and EE's can produce a range of different colored eggs. What I didn't know was how to tell the difference. Thank you for this. I'm pretty bummed that this isn't an Ameraucauna like I thought it was. I always wanted an Easter Egger but I also wanted an Ameracauna as well. Eventually, I want a white egger layer as well. Do Black Sex Links produce brown eggs?

I knew Ameraucana's and EE's were commonly mistaken for one another. I also knew the difference between colored eggs that they both produced. Ameraucana's produce blue eggs and EE's can produce a range of different colored eggs. What I didn't know was how to tell the difference. Thank you for this. I'm pretty bummed that this isn't an Ameraucauna like I thought it was. I always wanted an Easter Egger but I also wanted an Ameracauna as well. Eventually, I want a white egger layer as well. Do Black Sex Links produce brown eggs?
I have some pure BBS Ameraucanas (Thanks to @desertmarcy ) that lay nice turquoise blue eggs. I recently also bought some feed store "Ameraucanas" that are the chipmunk stripe color pattern, but they do have puffy cheeks and slate legs, no beards yet. I don't have any expectations from them, just need to wait about 5 or 6 months to check out their egg color.

Last edited:
I have a favor to ask. I need a photo of someones chickens in a yard or free range to use on the back of my business cards. Does anyone have one I can use thank you

You will need to get true Ameraucanas from a good breeder. The Ameraucana club has a list of breeders as well as photos of what the various varieties should look like as chicks and as adults. www.ameraucana.org is the website. I set another batch of blue/ black Ameraucana eggs for an order, due to hatch 4/27. I always set extras so I know I will have enough hatch for the order. Let me know if you are interested. They won't be sexed chicks, though. Straight run. The black sex-linked birds are brown egg layers. Those are usually a cross between a red male, like a Rhode Island Red or New Hampshire and a barred female, like a Barred Rock. There are other ways they can be made, but that is the most common. I have some hatching that are a cross between Black Copper Marans and Barred Rock.

Back
Top Bottom