Arizona Chickens

Can you somehow close off said broody without moving her? Otherwise you'll need to get her a dog crate or something to seperate her. I have gone both ways once I let momma decide, and once I kept them seperate. I PREFER letting momma decide, just last weekend I had to put down Dozer's chick because it's leg was horribly broken.

In the future I will put ALL broodies in a seperate area until chicks are 3+ weeks old. At least.

AZ Kat - Congrat's on the chicks. How fun!

newchickmom09 - Glad it went well for the dedicated hen.

ETA
Laree -like the new avatar

Mohonri - now you got me worried...that can be good if it propels to further action!

Nice to hear all the updates!

Last edited:
Quote:
I can teach you how to etch glass. Takes all of a minute. Everything is available at Michaels.

My only criticism of that awesome case is the shotgun is locked up. Shotgun needs to be out next to the AR-15.
Laree... didn't you say you could get DE for $22? Western Ranchman charged me $28 today. It's the most I've ever paid for DE.

Is AZ feeds really that yucky? My chooks don't seem to notice, but if I think about it it does seem like they eat less when I am using Layena.​

I have used AZ feeds layer pellets and it seems to give my chickens runny poo. I use Nutrena and their poo is normal. Just my experience with the stuff.

Angie

Quote:
I have my broody and her chicks in a pack and play for kids with a top on it so momma can't get out.

I am not sure what a puppy play pen is...I live in the boonies with no tv..LOL

I have some really pretty Orpingtons hatching right now, they are out of my Buff Orpington Roo and the hens are Blue Orp, Splash Orp and Black Orp...when they dry I will post some pictures...

It is nice out today, I am really enjoying the weather....it makes me glad that I chose to move up here

Shaun, my run is made of those tall playpens!
big_smile.png
They work nice if you find the small barred ones!

Today was going terrible. I went to court to make a witness stand to an accident and now I am being sued for not helping? What the hell. I doubt it'll go threw but now I have to spend the $$ for a blood sucking lawyer. BUT TA DA~ Got a call from a lovely chicken fan with a lonely hen named Henrietta. She needs a buddy since her sister passed away from being egg bound.
smile.png
Her mommy sounds like the perfect chicken addict for Oatmeal & Pooky~

Last edited:
Quote:
Yep, she was sleeping in a nest box that I made for her before you got her. She's probably decided she likes it better than out in the open. Hope her and the chicks are doing well. Do they all seem like pullets?

So far they look like pullets to me, and they are doing great. The little buggers have been hopping up in the feeder and scratching feed out all over the run and the ate all the okra I planted the other day so mischief abounds.
These pics are a week old, they are starting to show more color this week I'll try to get some better pics. both of the pale ones out of the green eggs are starting to get some wheat color around their shoulders but you can't see it much in these pictures. The black one still has a little gold on the tips of her feathers. Did you ever figure out what your uncles chickens all where?

49572_007.jpg

49572_basils_chicks006.jpg

49572_basils_chicks013.jpg

Quote:
Yep, she was sleeping in a nest box that I made for her before you got her. She's probably decided she likes it better than out in the open. Hope her and the chicks are doing well. Do they all seem like pullets?

So far they look like pullets to me, and they are doing great. The little buggers have been hopping up in the feeder and scratching feed out all over the run and the ate all the okra I planted the other day so mischief abounds.
These pics are a week old, they are starting to show more color this week I'll try to get some better pics. both of the pale ones out of the green eggs are starting to get some wheat color around their shoulders but you can't see it much in these pictures. The black one still has a little gold on the tips of her feathers. Did you ever figure out what your uncles chickens all where?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/49572_007.jpg
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/49572_basils_chicks006.jpg
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/49572_basils_chicks013.jpg

Dont all chicks cause mischief if they can (LOL) They are really feathering in nicely. I cant wait to see what they look like big. They sure seem like pullets to me but you never know, especially with EE's.
All I know is that dad was a really pretty Easter Egger. He had lots of hens and so wasnt sure who layed what. He wasnt even sure the roo was doing his job, but he was.
The two yellow/white ones are Easter eggers (dad and mom both were) the black one is half EE (whatever breeds lay white eggs is possibility for mom (LOL)

We can just call them mystery chicks
wink.png
I will try and find out what hens he has that lay white eggs. Then we can narrow it down.

Quote:
I have about 12 roosters (mostly polish) available. How many do they want? If they are willing to take all, I will give a 18 week old pullet for Free.

Wow! I have missed a lot. Not getting my notices.
rant.gif

I have 8 roosters! Easter eggers and Ameraucanas. Young and younger. Please help me get rid of them!

I am headed to the eye doctor tomorrow morning as one of my chickens pecked my eyeball!!!! I have a pretty good scratch on my eye. It hurts. Darn chickens!

Still reading last few pages to catch up.

Quote:
I have about 12 roosters (mostly polish) available. How many do they want? If they are willing to take all, I will give a 18 week old pullet for Free.

Wow! I have missed a lot. Not getting my notices.
rant.gif

I have 8 roosters! Easter eggers and Ameraucanas. Young and younger. Please help me get rid of them!

I am headed to the eye doctor tomorrow morning as one of my chickens pecked my eyeball!!!! I have a pretty good scratch on my eye. It hurts. Darn chickens!

Still reading last few pages to catch up.

I will send him your info as well
smile.png

Here is the update on my broody GLW Sunshine! (just realized I never told you all her name)
Early this morning still in the nesting boxes
100_3051.jpg

100_3050.jpg

This afternoon when I moved her to a dog kennel so the chicks could run around and have food and water right there for them.
100_3079.jpg

Momma telling them not to go threw the cage (the light blue one went right threw the side and my GLW threw a fit until she came back in.
100_3078.jpg

100_3074.jpg

The funiest pic to me.
lol.png

100_3072.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom