Arizona Chickens

Sock Puppet - Great pics! Beautiful hen!

gckiddhouse - OUCH! Hope the eye is feeling better soon.

joel david - My "juveniles" are at about the same growth stage as the ones you posted.

redrocketrooster - ick. Hope things come quickly to a peaceful resolution. Happy for the hens to have a good home. Yippee!

Getting the broody's to accept the chicks seems to have gone off without a hitch. This morning I opened up the coop, and went inside to observe for a moment. Four or five of the chicks, including Cutie (the one that they actually hatched) had ventured out from under the broodys. That was when they nearly gave me a heart attack, Jean Grey started making annoyed broody clucking noises, and they both started pecking at the chicks. Then, Jean Grey picked up one of the chicks by the wing and tossed it in between her and Betsey, the Barred Rock. At that point, I was sure that they'd rejected the chicks and were going to kill them all, but then Betsey pecked Cutie, and Cutie ran under her, and another one of the chicks did the same. Then I noticed that none of the chicks were actually being pecked hard enough to hurt them. And I realized that I wasn't seeing a murder attempt, they were just trying to get the chicks back under them, where they would be warm and safe from the human. A little while later, I went back outside, and they were sitting there, watching carefully while the chicks ate breakfast.
big_smile.png

newchickmom-Sunshine is beautiful and looks very proud in pics 3 and 5.

AZKat-It's been fun watching Miss Basil Blue doing her mommy thing, nature is bad azz. I had thought that as I got deeper into this chicken thing I would get an incubator, heck no. After this experience I'm totally sold on the broody hen method of hatching and raising chicks.

Seller accepted our offer on a house now we have to wait for the bank (short sale) crosses fingers. It's just under an acre and flood irrigated. Woo hoo, hardcore punk rock farming action!

Quote:
Awesome! Glad you are going with the broody method. She goes broody about every two months from what I figure. Since hatching and raising, Im not sure when she will. If you are interested in another Cochin I have a couple of young ones that I cant sell. One I think the dog bit and she now has some scar tissue on her neck. And the other one has walking issues sometimes due to trauma from being caught in the fence. Other than that they act fine. Just let me know. Love them cochins.

Last edited:
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif

Pooky and Oatmeal were just picked up by a wonderful family. It fills me with great joy that Pooky took to the wife right away and sat in her lap on the ride home. I'm sure Oatmeal will do the same after a short while and I am endlessly grateful they found this family. Before I handed over Oatmeal she scratched me across the face and neck, I hope it scars! At least that way I can look at it in the mirror and smile when this doesn't hurt as much. Now after walking inside it set in that they won't be in the backyard anymore and now all I can do is sit and cry.

Last edited:
RRR-It really stinks that you had to give up Oatmeal and Pookie, but at least they are going to a good home.

It seems like I spoke too soon about things going off without a hitch. This evening, the chicks who had apparently been accepted were all in one corner of the coop, and when they went towards the broodys to get under them, the broodys chased them off. When Cutie followed the group of chicks, I took one of the new chicks and Cutie and tucked them both under Jean Grey. She chased the one off, and let Cutie stay. So I scooped up the chicks and put them in the brooder. I don't know what the problem was, exactly. I suspect it was because they already had a chick and could see a difference between their chick and the introduced ones.

Well is should be interesting to see how my broody does with her 6 eggs. I have serious doubts that I'll get even one chick because of the heat, but you never know.

After the game I'll head out to make sure they all made it to bed OK and turn off the AC.

I just wanted all of you with broody's to not give up hope.

I have a broody bantam RIR (Ethel) with 9 eggs under her that are due to hatch on Saturday. Tonight when I went to give everyone fresh water, I happened to look at the broody and found a little chick sitting right next to her. I couldn't believe it! I did look under Ethel but no other eggs have hatched, yet.

So there is hope!!
fl.gif

Angie

Back
Top Bottom