Arizona Chickens

i let the almost 4 week old ducklings out of their new duckie pen yesterday so they could swim in the bigger duck pool. they were doing just fine under the shade of the lemon tree and swimming around when one of the muscovy girls came over and stopped their party and jumped in. they freaked out and started running towards MY POOL(which is pristine now) and the kids and my MIL are swimming in it. they went thru the fence bars and started jumping in, one by one. ALL 15 OF THEM!
barnie.gif
the kids start yelling, i start yelling and jump in after them in fear they will drown in the big pool or worse, poop in it. so the fireman comes out of the house and sees the chaos of the ducks in the newly pristine pool, me in it in my clothes trying to scoop out ducks before getting caught and the MIL laughing at me. grrrrrrrrrrrrrr. keep lounging there, no no, i don't need any help. yes, i am a terrible wife and mother. oops, did i type that or think it?
hide.gif

i let the almost 4 week old ducklings out of their new duckie pen yesterday so they could swim in the bigger duck pool. they were doing just fine under the shade of the lemon tree and swimming around when one of the muscovy girls came over and stopped their party and jumped in. they freaked out and started running towards MY POOL(which is pristine now) and the kids and my MIL are swimming in it. they went thru the fence bars and started jumping in, one by one. ALL 15 OF THEM!
barnie.gif
the kids start yelling, i start yelling and jump in after them in fear they will drown in the big pool or worse, poop in it. so the fireman comes out of the house and sees the chaos of the ducks in the newly pristine pool, me in it in my clothes trying to scoop out ducks before getting caught and the MIL laughing at me. grrrrrrrrrrrrrr. keep lounging there, no no, i don't need any help. yes, i am a terrible wife and mother. oops, did i type that or think it?
hide.gif
I wonder what scared them more. the muscovy or you and the kids screaming. I wish I would have seen that!!

For anyone who has noticed or cared......my internet is down and I cant get a new wifi thing?? until august. I can only check my email every week or so and it really is crappy. I miss my daily BYC fix

Hey all, been offline a few days. Brought one of my girls in to do an exam. I try to do this at least once a month. She has a bald belly. She has not been broody from what I can tell but she hasn't laid in over a week. Her pelvic bones seem to be closing. Her belly is the only place she's got noticeable feather loss. She's eating and drinking like normal. She comes out of the run when I open the gate in the morning. She comes running to see if I have a snack when I go outside. Could she be going broody? Could she be starting a molt? She's not quit a year old and is a Blue Jersey Giant.

I do have to EE's that want to sit in the nest boxes. One that was purring when I'd open the nesting box lid and ruffling her feathers all up. They both lay eggs every other day. The one that was ruffled was sitting on her own egg and a golf ball. The other will get in after another hen lays and egg. None of them will stay all day or even half a day for that matter but they will stay for 2-3 hours in one sitting once a day. Normal? I am sure it's normal, but going broody?

What chicken would want to go broody when it's 105+ in the coop during the day. It's 85 under the coop (deep shade and wet) where they hang all day.

For anyone who has noticed or cared......my internet is down and I cant get a new wifi thing?? until august. I can only check my email every week or so and it really is crappy. I miss my daily BYC fix
I wondered where you went. August is getting closer and think of all the free time you will have until then!!

Hotter than Heck outside today....looks like very little of my outside projects will get worked on today.

Hey Bootsie, Our maran rooster is getting a little to big for his britches! He has decided to attack but you never know when he will do it. For such "chicken hearted" chickens he is trying to be a big shot.
big_smile.png

Hi, everyone! My Black Orpington cockerel has found his voice. He doesn't crow during the day (usually), it's just that sunrise thing. So, I have been putting him the the garage at night, but it's just an extra step I don't really want to do. Anyway...if someone wants him for $10, he's yours. Otherwise it's freezer camp for him. I'm going to post an ad on craigslist, too, but wanted to see if any fellow BYCers wanted him for their ladies. He really is nice..so far. He lets me hold him and carry him, he doesn't like it, mind you, but he's not aggressive at all. And he takes care of his hens. He finds food for them and calls them over, I even caught him "grooming" a hen. I dunno, do roosters do that?
idunno.gif
He was very gently going over her neck feathers. She didn't mind.

PM me if interested.

Hey all, been offline a few days. Brought one of my girls in to do an exam. I try to do this at least once a month. She has a bald belly. She has not been broody from what I can tell but she hasn't laid in over a week. Her pelvic bones seem to be closing. Her belly is the only place she's got noticeable feather loss. She's eating and drinking like normal. She comes out of the run when I open the gate in the morning. She comes running to see if I have a snack when I go outside. Could she be going broody? Could she be starting a molt? She's not quit a year old and is a Blue Jersey Giant.

I do have to EE's that want to sit in the nest boxes. One that was purring when I'd open the nesting box lid and ruffling her feathers all up. They both lay eggs every other day. The one that was ruffled was sitting on her own egg and a golf ball. The other will get in after another hen lays and egg. None of them will stay all day or even half a day for that matter but they will stay for 2-3 hours in one sitting once a day. Normal? I am sure it's normal, but going broody?

What chicken would want to go broody when it's 105+ in the coop during the day. It's 85 under the coop (deep shade and wet) where they hang all day.
One of my Wheaten Marans was Broody....after sitting for 5 weeks, she finally gave up last week. I agree....Way to hot for sitting in the nesting box. I try to discourage them....take the eggs, push them out of the box etc. Sometimes they are really stubborn. When I get too worried, I cage them and bring them inside. It takes awhile, but eventually they will lay an egg and you know the broody bug is gone. It's a hassle
hu.gif
and then you have to worry about scuffles when you re-introduce them to the flock.

Right now I have only 1 broody. She doesn't even sit on her eggs during the day. She keeps them out from under her until it cools down at night.

Your playing at broody behavior is pretty normal. Some of my pullets, act like that when testing the water. Just keep an eye on them. Sometimes they give up the idea, usually after a bit they will hunker down and get serious.

There are no stupid questions. Only stu....

In my limited experience the cluckers are very amiable to most treatments. Even shots.

Hoppy pretty much likes standing in the sink.

Last week we went to Homer's and on the way Tammy asked, is there still a chicken in the sink.

Yup there was, & she was still standing there when we got back!
gig.gif
That's pretty funny right there.

Back
Top Bottom