Arkansas folks speak up.........

I am in Fayetteville- surprised to see how many others there are on here! We have a four chicken limit but I have 14! They are just about all feathered, and getting big, so I guess I'll have to pick my favorite 4 to keep... Has anyone ever actually gotten in trouble for not following the "chicken ordinance" in Fayetteville or elsewhere in nwa?

Hello, and
welcome-byc.gif
, from Mablevale. I don't have limits where I live, but I don't live in the city limits. I think though if I did I'd watch my numbers. Someone is always turning someone else in for minor infractions in places like these, and the Governments are always on the lookout for a way to get their hands in you pockets.

I am in Fayetteville- surprised to see how many others there are on here! We have a four chicken limit but I have 14! They are just about all feathered, and getting big, so I guess I'll have to pick my favorite 4 to keep... Has anyone ever actually gotten in trouble for not following the "chicken ordinance" in Fayetteville or elsewhere in nwa?

Hi Fayetteville! Just down the road from you southeast of Elkins. The ordinance is very new. I'm surprised they passed it to tell the truth. I sure wouldn't push it though. With fourteen chickens you will have quite a few that are roosters and when a bunch of them start crowing at three in the morning the neighbors might get upset. Well, unless you bought them sexed. I'm really shocked they didn't exclude roosters, so I wouldn't push my luck. Might end up causing more restrictions placed on people. You must have more than a backyard lot with that many chickens. What are you going to do with all that poop?

Last edited:
Hi Fayetteville! Just down the road from you southeast of Elkins. The ordinance is very new. I'm surprised they passed it to tell the truth. I sure wouldn't push it though. With fourteen chickens you will have quite a few that are roosters and when a bunch of them start crowing at three in the morning the neighbors might get upset. Well, unless you bought them sexed. I'm really shocked they didn't exclude roosters, so I wouldn't push my luck. Might end up causing more restrictions placed on people. You must have more than a backyard lot with that many chickens. What are you going to do with all that poop?

They are only month old. We have 14 because minimum order was 15, plus one died. We won't be keeping them all, just 4 once we can sort out the roosters for sure.

Also I think the Fayetteville ordinance does already exclude roosters, so I won't be keeping any of those for sure. Then will pick my favorite 4 among the hens and sell the rest, I guess.

There was talk about changing that ordinance a few months ago but I never heard of any changes being approved. I went to that meeting Johnny at the extension service put together with Dr. Clarke, Dr. Bramwell, and a lady that was too sick to really give her part on housing right after that was passed. Limits were four hens, no roosters, and you could not butcher any.

They are only month old. We have 14 because minimum order was 15, plus one died. We won't be keeping them all, just 4 once we can sort out the roosters for sure.

Also I think the Fayetteville ordinance does already exclude roosters, so I won't be keeping any of those for sure. Then will pick my favorite 4 among the hens and sell the rest, I guess.

Well, that's one little tidbit the news failed to mention.

There was talk about changing that ordinance a few months ago but I never heard of any changes being approved. I went to that meeting Johnny at the extension service put together with Dr. Clarke, Dr. Bramwell, and a lady that was too sick to really give her part on housing right after that was passed. Limits were four hens, no roosters, and you could not butcher any.

Can't even butcher the roosters if you end up with any? They really should let people keep the cockerals until they are big enough to butcher. Do they expect everyone to get sex links? Or full grown chickens? The state law says you have to purchase a minimum of six chicks when purchased under a certain age. People are bound to end up with males.

:/ Fayetteville city limits extend much to far out into the "country" for this to be a good idea.

Case in point: A relative's farm.... Pretty sure they haven't heard of this new ordinance, and they can keep cattle without an issue. :confused:

I'm not looking for an argument on this. Do you think anyone on this forum is going to be unsympathetic. if you have a problem with this, contact someone that can do something about it. That's not me. I'm out in the county well away from this type of restrictions as long as I don't go commercial.

The way many of these types of laws work, people are often grandfathered in. If they had chickens or cows before the law was passed or the land was annexed, they can keep them. But new people can't start up. It depends some on zoning too.

Back
Top Bottom