Arkansas folks speak up.........

Quote:
Will you be getting some of the Mottling that we saw previously?
Not this generation. The mottling gene is a recessive gene. Since my Buff Rock rooster doesn’t have it, the chicks will not show mottling. But since all my hens have it all the chicks are split for mottling. I’ll save a cockerel from this year’s hatch to be the flock master next year and put him over the mottled hens and some of his half-sisters and get the mottling back. And I’ll only hatch green or blue eggs so I’ll keep that trait.

Not this generation. The mottling gene is a recessive gene. Since my Buff Rock rooster doesn’t have it, the chicks will not show mottling. But since all my hens have it all the chicks are split for mottling. I’ll save a cockerel from this year’s hatch to be the flock master next year and put him over the mottled hens and some of his half-sisters and get the mottling back. And I’ll only hatch green or blue eggs so I’ll keep that trait.

Cool. Genetics still baffle me. :)

Forrest City here.

Welcome!

So, would these be "Easter Eggers"? They sound like they'll be really beautiful and interesting chickens. :)

Yes, Easter Eggers. But there is no real definition for an Easter Egger. It’s just a chicken where the hens should lay a blue or green egg. They can look like anything.

I decided I wanted a red or black speckled chicken that lays colored eggs, so I made some. But then I decided to change it up and play with lighter colors, so I got a Buff Rock rooster. In a couple of years I’ll be back to the speckled green-egg-laying chickens but the base colors should have some lighter colors mixed in. I do like a variety.

Say "Hi" to our new additions. Angel and Dusty. Dusty is a bit thin and needs some TLC but she is in the right place for it.

fl.gif
We will have 10 little chickies next week to add to the mix, as long as my broody mama holds tight.

Back
Top Bottom