Asian blue

I'm guessing some of the differences in these birds is because they are a very new breed and it has not been perfected yet. The other major differences are probably because they are not the same breed. Birds can very easily get mixed up. I know my hen is definitely an Asian Blue but I am not 100% sure of my roo. Looking at other people's pictures makes me think he could be.

Last edited:
Asian Blues are a dual purpose breed. They lay brown eggs and supposed to be very hardy. Hoover's Hatchery carries them and has a picture of a mature hen on their site. You can also find them at Buchheit stores.

I
I'm guessing some of the differences in these birds is because they are a very new breed and it has not been perfected yet. The other major differences are probably because they are not the same breed. Birds can very easily get mixed up. I know my hen is definitely an Asian Blue but I am not 100% sure of my roo. Looking at other people's pictures makes me think he could be.

It appears these are not a pure breed chicken. They are sold as broilers. The good part is the females are supposed to be exceptional layers and otherwise also make good meat chickens. They seem perfectly capable of sustaining themselves. The next generation would probably be completely different. This is ok with me. I just ordered 15 pullets from Purely Poultry for April shipping. Great price and free shipping 15 min chickens. I'd rather be raising pullets than a bunch of roosters. I already have 6. I enjoyed seeing what others have since there is not much info out there about them.
Efowl also offers them but straight run only.
D.gif

I know they are a mix. But that is how new breeds are created. It just takes time to create consistency.

And I am very happy with my birds. My rooster does a great job with the hens. He is easy to handle and not even slightly aggressive even though he is massive (a little over knee high). My little rooster actually picks on him. My hen mostly keeps to herself. But if she sees a cat, she gets a little aggressive and starts chasing it.
I just hatched chicks from my production reds and isa browns with my asian blue as the rooster. I am very happy with these chicks. They are big and fast growing.

This is a pullet 4.5 months old. Looks like a black sex link to me, except maybe more tannish color than red neck feathers?? IMO.... I think they tacked an attractive name on a barnyard mix bird. I am enjoying them none the less and look fwd to eggs from them.

Asian blue top pic, black sex link bottom pic

Out of 5 chicks I got this spring, 3 were roosters and 1 I lost to a wolf. The remaining Asian Blue is one of my favorites. She is smart, friendly, a good forager, and lays a lot of eggs. Seems to me she is laying almost as many as the isa browns.

So I have been hatching chicks from my main flock. I do have two roosters in the coop but most of my hens prefer my Asian Blue rooster. I wasn't sure what I would get out of these mixes. I hatched from my production reds, isa browns, and some easter eggers. The results- a third to half look like asian blues.

I currently have two eggs from my asian blue hen in the incubator. I guess we'll see if the next generation looks like the parent stock or not.

Does anyone know how the Asia Black differs from the Asia Blue? EFowl and Hoovers Hatchery are the only ones selling both breeds (Hoovers is the only place hatching them I know of) but their websites' breed descriptions of the two are identical. The Black and Blue have to differ some way!

All of the pictures on this thread are missing one extremely important breed characteristic: varying golden and chestnut breasts. Almost every Asian blue has some varying degree of golden or chestnut on their breast. The amount varies from a touch only seen in perfect lighting to the gold infecting the wings with their color and pattern. In terms of pattern, it varies to a high level. some have entirely chestnut feathers, while some have laced, while some have a black feather with the last 1/4 of the feather being gold or chestnut. For the rooster, this still runs true but they have a chestnut bar across their back and wings and have an almost entirely chestnut head... And BillWhite , the ONLY place you can get them is through Efowl (a middle man) or straight through Hoover's, who I am almost sure bred them. But get them through TSC because Hoover's has terrible customer service (Sent me wrong breed and 1 wrong sex, why I have Asian blues) and Efowl cannot help Hoover's problem by buying from them. Wisterialove , It is not a cockerel UNLESS you see and hear him crowing. Trust me, I've been there. Wrong feather pattern, color, and comb and wattle size to be a cockerel. definitely a pullet.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom